• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adding Spouse to the Company

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm weirdly enough I can't quite eeks post but yeah you are right and wouldn't argue that point. Just narks me off when people have the attitude they just want to do it as a pure tax move. Pay her and give divs just because someone told them they can. There is more to it than that. Just like to play devil's advocate.

And I can't do it so I'm sulking.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Hmm weirdly enough I can't quite eeks post but yeah you are right and wouldn't argue that point. Just narks me off when people have the attitude they just want to do it as a pure tax move. Pay her and give divs just because someone told them they can. There is more to it than that. Just like to play devil's advocate.

I think I covered that bit in "many spouses will earn enough to not make it worthwhile". Even if we ignore the fact you ain't married your other half earns too much anyway...
      Last edited by eek; 22 May 2015, 10:50.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

You think tax avoidance is not a good motive? You muppet. I bet you have no ISAs either?

On the other hand celebrate being single! What happened to NLYUK?

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
          Depends what the OP means, really - my wife is a modest shareholder because, frankly, she took much as much risk as me in this endeavour and I wanted to make sure she got some direct rewards out of it.
          Wasn't (isn't?) being married to you reward enough?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            It's not artifically lowering the tax burden as confirmed by https://www.ipse.co.uk/ipse-tax-vict...in-house-lords . Sharing the profits of a company with your spouse is perfectly acceptable as they share the risk of the enterprise.

Granted there is minimal real risk and many spouses will earn enough to make not worthwhile but its not artificial and definitely not aggressive (in fact it's little different from deciding in whose names the savings are in)..
            There's no risk with a contractor "business" other than the fact the breadwinner might not bring home the bacon, and that applies equally to anyone married to a permie. Unless the spouse is genuinely contributing then it's entirely artificial. Whether it's wrong is a different argument, though you could argue it amounts to a tax on being single.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              There's no risk with a contractor "business" other than the fact the breadwinner might not bring home the bacon, and that applies equally to anyone married to a permie. Unless the spouse is genuinely contributing then it's entirely artificial. Whether it's wrong is a different argument, though you could argue it amounts to a tax on being single.
              That argument leads to the FLC and all the pain that will create.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                That argument leads to the FLC and all the pain that will create.
                Free Loading Contractor?
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

My wife is my company's secretary, tax benefits make it worth doing but the role play sex is brilliant as well.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

If you're going to make your spouse a 50% shareholder, you might want to make her a company secretary or director too otherwise she won't be eligible for ER on her share of the capital distribution when you one day shut the company down and will have some extra CGT to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                      If you're going to make your spouse a 50% shareholder, you might want to make her a company secretary or director too otherwise she won't be eligible for ER on her share of the capital distribution when you one day shut the company down and will have some extra CGT to pay.
                      Or you change the holdings prior to closure

Comment

Working...
                      X