• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has contracting made you lose perspective on money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eddie1507 View Post
    You are right I withdraw my comment
    Bloody politician
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      1) It's handbags.
      2) There's a smiley for it
      3) Your comment is sexist.

Apart from that, carry on as you were

(Waits for SpontaneousOrder to appear to wonder how on earth the comment could be construed as sexist.)
      It's not : )

I mean, it *could* be; but it's much more likely that he's simply referring to the common observation that while men are more likely to come to blows, or more often to simply part ways over a disagreement and be done with it - women are far more likely to engage in a long lasting and bitter feud. A cold war of sorts.

Now *if* that is meant as a derogatory observation because men are being likened to women - and that such a likening is to imply inherent inferiority unrelated to the merits of that behaviour - then that's sexist.

If, on the other much more typical hand, the remark has been made in order to highlight the participant's parts in a behaviour that men (and many women) generally find far less noble, then it is in no way sexist.

By your reasoning (assuming you're not aiming for the first example) when guys joke about their mates' wives being diddled, while they're away on contract, by someone with a stereotypically black man's name (Desmond, Tyrone, whatever...) they would be being racist - when in fact they are alluding the widely shared observation that black men often tend to be packing more in the trouser department.

Now, there is real sexism in the world. But your incessant crusade against imagined sexism only tells me that you have some kind of inferiority complex. If you didn't you wouldn't be wasting your time discrediting victims of real sexism in some attempt to add some sense of substance to your life.

Your own personal issues are your own business. But you hurt real victims and I think it's shameful.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
        It's not : )

I mean, it *could* be; but it's much more likely that he's simply referring to the common observation that while men are more likely to come to blows, or more often to simply part ways over a disagreement and be done with it - women are far more likely to engage in a long lasting and bitter feud. A cold war of sorts.

Now *if* that is meant as a derogatory observation because men are being likened to women - and that such a likening is to imply inherent inferiority unrelated to the merits of that behaviour - then that's sexist.

If, on the other much more typical hand, the remark has been made in order to highlight the participant's parts in a behaviour that men (and many women) generally find far less noble, then it is in no way sexist.

By your reasoning (assuming you're not aiming for the first example) when guys joke about their mates' wives being diddled, while they're away on contract, by someone with a stereotypically black man's name (Desmond, Tyrone, whatever...) they would be being racist - when in fact they are alluding the widely shared observation that black men often tend to be packing more in the trouser department.

Now, there is real sexism in the world. But your incessant crusade against imagined sexism only tells me that you have some kind of inferiority complex. If you didn't you wouldn't be wasting your time discrediting victims of real sexism in some attempt to add some sense of substance to your life.

Your own personal issues are your own business. But you hurt real victims and I think it's shameful.
        A woman I know met a black gentleman in a nightclub. When they got back to her place, she asked him if he was going to prove that 'what they say about black guys' is true.

He stabbed her and stole her handbag.
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post

(Waits for SpontaneousOrder to appear to wonder how on earth the comment could be construed as sexist.)
          Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
          It's not ...
          And there you go.

It is sexist, and it is as sexist as TM's comment is racist. But not requiring any action. However, your contention that it's unserious and therefore...

is disingenuous, sexist bollocks. As well as being a rather nasty personal attack.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            And there you go.

It is sexist, and it is as sexist as TM's comment is racist. But not requiring any action. However, your contention that it's unserious and therefore... is disingenuous, sexist bollocks. As well as being a rather nasty personal attack.
            You big girls blouse.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
              I tell myself almost every day how lucky I am.

But then GFP says, "no, you work for it, it's not luck"

Depends on your POV I suppose.

Last month when I went to the US, ClientCo paid for cattle class and this time MyCo decided to splash an extra $2k on upgrades. Yes, I'm lucky I can do that.

I think that sometimes, yes, I do lose sight of the value of money, as I occasionally buy expensive tulip just because I can, whereas I always turn the shampoo bottle upsidedown to squeeze the last out of it. Then I go to the pub and spend £50. It's weird I guess.
              Hate it when people call me lucky. Got friends from school who couldnt be arsed to go to college - preferred dead end job so they had plenty of beer money at the time. (whereas I was on a student grant for 3 years).

These same friends now moan if they've got to work more than 10 min bus ride from home.

Now Im earning 5x what they do, when Im traveling 90 mins to client every day Im apparently LUCKY FFS!

(Not that they know how much I earn but, in their head, IT pays loads anyway).
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X