• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Has contracting made you lose perspective on money?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I think that sometimes, yes, I do lose sight of the value of money, as I occasionally buy expensive tulip just because I can, whereas I always turn the shampoo bottle upsidedown to squeeze the last out of it. Then I go to the pub and spend £50. It's weird I guess.

I know plenty of higher earners who do that.

It's because you have to spend money on keeping sanitary but it's your choice to spend in the pub.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

It's because you have to spend money on keeping sanitary but it's your choice to spend in the pub.
      And it proves your granny was correct 'Look after the pennies.....' and in many circumstances the opposite 'Penny wise and pound foolish...' works too

Comment

I'm the same. I like using reward cards and getting the best deal, but think nothing of spending money out. I was out at the weekend, decided that a couple of books I was looking at where too expensive and five minutes later bought a new 128gb iPad, which a week later I still haven't opened
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I'm the same. I like using reward cards and getting the best deal, but think nothing of spending money out. I was out at the weekend, decided that a couple of books I was looking at where too expensive and five minutes later bought a new 128gb iPad, which a week later I still haven't opened
          You can use the iPad to read books so your purchase isn't as illogical as you think.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You can use the iPad to read books so your purchase isn't as illogical as you think.
            Wow! Really? Learn something new everyday.

I though they only did games and pron, and I'm not a big games player.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

at first yes, then i had kids!
              Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

If anything I worry about it more. I never used to have any, so having no money didn't particularly worry me. Now I've got a bit, the thought of having none is pretty scary.

Comment

I guess once you get used to dealing with thousands or tens of thousands of pounds at a time, £50 or a few hundred just doesn't seem like much. Couple that with a "I earn enough money to pay for that in x minutes", and you can easily lose perspective.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Indeed but as we know their jobs and liabilities in the majority of cases I doubt I am far wrong. The point was I and my family are in a very privileged position and we should be thankful.

There may be one or two squirreling their wealth away but most are overgrowing their houses and desperate to move but have failed to do so quoting finance as the issue.

If you look at it at a world level we are in one of the richest countries in the world which puts us in the top 1% of the world, then in the top 10-20% puts s even higher we are very lucky!
                    Are we seriously doin' this? A thread where we bragg about our material possessions and bank accounts ? Really ?

Would you describe yourself as being "considerably richer" than your brother-in-law ?

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
                      A thread where we bragg about our material possessions and bank accounts ?

Comment

Working...
                      X