• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hotel or house share

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I prefer house share because you can leave stuff there and not have to lug it around each week. Plus when you want to cook, you have that freedom to do it.

Last time I was in London, I found a room through Monday to Friday - about 500 yards from the office, so I only had to use the tube on a Monday morning and a Friday afternoon to get to and from Euston. Nice flat, well kitted out, lovely kitchen, nice couple of guys to share with.

I did it before in a house share where I was by far the oldest in the house because they were mainly recent graduates in their first jobs. Not so good location, nice people though. I was most upset when Kate (21, Australian, blonde, 6', model / gym instructor) moved out.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Premier Inn for a couple of months then house share. Hotels are nice but can get boring/lonely. With house share, think I prefer live in landlord/lady.

One contractor I knew did camping, in a local field, in the summer. He was ex-army. Said the only drawback was occasional planes going overhead at night.

Comment

Main stream hotel for a couple of weeks until you get to know the area. Then look for a smaller hotel where you can strike a deal.

However for my next gig I am looking at serviced apartments for the first two weeks

Comment

I did a gig in London which involved me being on site for the first week and I stayed in a serviced apartment. I enjoyed it and it worked out to be cheaper than a hotel for the same length of time.

GE

Comment

Originally posted by garethevans1986 View Post
            I did a gig in London which involved me being on site for the first week and I stayed in a serviced apartment. I enjoyed it and it worked out to be cheaper than a hotel for the same length of time.

GE
            I did that in Edinburgh many years back - I negotiated a deal that worked out cheaper than the Premier Inn in the same road and ended up in a penthouse flat in Leith overlooking Britannia.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Hotels are nice but can get boring/lonely
              What? With all those MILFs staying at the hotel for conferences, seeking some love, validation and free drinks? Pah!

Comment

Working...
              X