• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bruce Jenner

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheLordDave View Post
    My point was that the Olympic medal is perfectly valid as genetically she is a he.

Funnily enough no I don't know any transgender people nor do I spend much time googling it but understand the basic semantics.
    So you never knew Dana International or the bearded lady from Austria, Conchita Wurst, won Eurovision?

Don't you watch the news or read newspapers? Both got loads of hatred directed at them from particular groups.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      So I can't compete in the 100m hovering contest?
      My missus may be a godess, but even she can't hover and has to walk like normal folk.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        How come another poster was recently banned for an allegedly homophobic comment, yet a transphobic comment like this is apparently OK?
        phobia pho·bi·a (fō'bē-ə) n. A persistent, abnormal, or irrational fear of a specific thing or situation that compels one to avoid the feared stimulus. A strong fear, dislike, or aversion.
        I'm sorry, the original comment to which you refer may have been tongue in cheek, a bit of a piss take or even a bad taste joke. But where the feck did he/she show a morbid fear of transgender people?
        For feck sake get off of your lefty judgemental high horse and stop reading things into things that just aren't there.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          How come another poster was recently banned for an allegedly homophobic comment, yet a transphobic comment like this is apparently OK?
          Perhaps you fell into phobophobia, seeing a phobia where there is none.

The person in question wants to be addressed as "she" and I did so.

But there is a link on this thread to a video, posted by that person's son, calling that person his "dad", and showing that person competing as a man against other men at a level that women couldn't possibly achieve.

So although I've not done a physical examination, I think we can safely conclude that biologically and genetically, the person was a man.

If a person tells me, contrary to all evidence I can see, that their gender is contrary to their biological / genetic makeup, I'm willing to adjust how I address them. But I only have her word for it, you know. So yes, if she wants to be believed and accepted in this new identity, it does seem she should dump the old one entirely, be consistent, and not try to hang onto the best of both worlds. You can dress how you want and act how you want, but if you want other people to change they way they treat you, contrary to all other evidence and based only on your word, then please give us enough reason to think you actually believe it yourself.

I wasn't actually trying to be snarky (this time, despite my natural tendency). It's actually a serious point. If you want to be a woman, perhaps you shouldn't be using the fame you got doing something, as a man, which a woman couldn't have done. I'm not LGBT, but I don't know why the LGBT community isn't stressing this point themselves, if they want to have credibility.

If that's phobic and that kind of phobia earns a ban, then ban me, because I'm too daft to see anything wrong with it so I'll probably say something like that again.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
            Perhaps you fell into phobophobia, seeing a phobia where there is none.

The person in question wants to be addressed as "she" and I did so.

But there is a link on this thread to a video, posted by that person's son, calling that person his "dad", and showing that person competing as a man against other men at a level that women couldn't possibly achieve.

So although I've not done a physical examination, I think we can safely conclude that biologically and genetically, the person was a man.

If a person tells me, contrary to all evidence I can see, that their gender is contrary to their biological / genetic makeup, I'm willing to adjust how I address them. But I only have her word for it, you know. So yes, if she wants to be believed and accepted in this new identity, it does seem she should dump the old one entirely, be consistent, and not try to hang onto the best of both worlds. You can dress how you want and act how you want, but if you want other people to change they way they treat you, contrary to all other evidence and based only on your word, then please give us enough reason to think you actually believe it yourself.

I wasn't actually trying to be snarky (this time, despite my natural tendency). It's actually a serious point. If you want to be a woman, perhaps you shouldn't be using the fame you got doing something, as a man, which a woman couldn't have done. I'm not LGBT, but I don't know why the LGBT community isn't stressing this point themselves, if they want to have credibility.

If that's phobic and that kind of phobia earns a ban, then ban me, because I'm too daft to see anything wrong with it so I'll probably say something like that again.

I think it's rather narrow minded. Your comments appear to suggest that you find it difficult to believe that someone could be trapped in the wrong body, and to dismiss people who feel that way as somewhat deluded. Do you feel the same way about gay people out of interest? It would be very difficult to see a transgender person as having the "best of both worlds", I can't imagine it's something that one does to make one's life easier.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Your comments appear to suggest that you find it difficult to believe that someone could be trapped in the wrong body, and to dismiss people who feel that way as somewhat deluded.
              I wouldn't say that at all. I'm quite prepared to use the name Caitlyn if Caitlyn is prepared to consign Bruce to history.

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Do you feel the same way about gay people out of interest?
              I don't see the comparison. In general, I don't see gay people trying to hang on to remnants of their non-gay identity. This does seem to me to be a case of someone trying to hang onto remnants of male identity -- fine with the kids saying "Dad," for instance.

I don't see why it is narrow-minded to say, "If you want me to believe you, at least let me see that you really believe you."

Comment

Funnily enough no I don't know any transgender people nor do I spend much time googling it but understand the basic semantics.
                plumbing
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

If a man has his bits cut off and replaced with imitation female parts is he/she legally now female?
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

but understand the basic semantics.
                    What does your knowledge of Judaism have to do with it?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Nope.

You have to have XY chromosomes to compete as a women.
                      XY is the normal complement for a male!

To qualify as naturally female, a mammal needs one or more (generally two) X chromosomes, and no Y chromosomes.

See Sex Chromosome Abnormalities
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 5 June 2015, 11:54.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X