• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vauxhall and Sale of Goods Act

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did once successfully get a trader to pay for repairs, but that was after I'd only had it for a couple of weeks. In that case it was under warranty, but the warranty company cleverly decided that the repair increased the value of the car and so therefore they didn't have to pay. I just ignored them and threatened the dealer with the Sale of Goods Act and the Small Claims Court, and after a letter and a few heated phone calls he gave in. IME third party warranties are only there so the dealers can avoid their responsibilities.

The problem you've got is there's quite some considerable time (15 months) until the failure, and the mileage doesn't tell you everything. If anything lots of short trips are worse for the car.

It also probably wasn't a "new engine". It might have been a new engine block with the head and other gubbins reused from your original engine and assembled by the dealer's spanner monkeys. You'd have probably been better off in both ways by getting a second hand engine from a crashed car; then at least you know you're getting one from the factory.

Good luck with it.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
      Votes Labour, supports Spurs & drives a Vauxhall.

Hmmm...
      Sir Alan Sugar?

Comment

Hit social media, their Twitter feed and Facebook, got a lightning and satisfactory response with a laptop from PC World that failed one week out of warranty....
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Votes Labour, supports Spurs, detests Goons & his wife drives a Vauxhall.

Hmmm...
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
            I did once successfully get a trader to pay for repairs, but that was after I'd only had it for a couple of weeks. In that case it was under warranty, but the warranty company cleverly decided that the repair increased the value of the car and so therefore they didn't have to pay. I just ignored them and threatened the dealer with the Sale of Goods Act and the Small Claims Court, and after a letter and a few heated phone calls he gave in. IME third party warranties are only there so the dealers can avoid their responsibilities.

The problem you've got is there's quite some considerable time (15 months) until the failure, and the mileage doesn't tell you everything. If anything lots of short trips are worse for the car.

It also probably wasn't a "new engine". It might have been a new engine block with the head and other gubbins reused from your original engine and assembled by the dealer's spanner monkeys. You'd have probably been better off in both ways by getting a second hand engine from a crashed car; then at least you know you're getting one from the factory.

Good luck with it.
            I think it will be Small claims court

Unless Vauxhall actually think their engines should last between 7.5 & 45k

Comment

Originally posted by MercladUK View Post
              Long story short.

We purchased a Zafira
              It is quite a short story. I didn't read beyond that.

Comment

Votes Labour, supports Spurs & drives a Vauxhall.

Hmmm...
                However most facts in the first post....
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Had a similar issue with my Ferrari 456, suddenly stopped working after about 200 miles, wouldn't start.

Garage came out with some bulltulip about petrol and having to put some in but you shouldn't have to do that in a Ferrari.

So I bought another and that did the same and so did the next so I just keep buying another now after each 200 miles.

On my rate it's a drop in MF's semen stain...

Comment

You are aware there are consumer forums? They would be more useful than this one in helping you argue your case e.g. moneysavingexpert

Also claiming an amount of mileage on a car doesn't really work. Some people can drive 7.5K in 2 weeks while others can do that in 2 years.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Sale of Goods Act restarts the warranty after the item has been replaced, but only for the replaced item. Use the remedies provided by the Act again?
                      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
                      X