Are we repeating same mistakes as 1930s? Are we repeating same mistakes as 1930s?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    I Am Legend

    BrilloPad has reached the peak. Play again?


    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    104,690

    Default Are we repeating same mistakes as 1930s?

    Our defence cuts leave us looking feeble in the eyes of the world - Telegraph

    We are appeasing our enemies and making the same mistakes as in the 1930s during the rise of Nazism

    I disagree. We have a nuclear deterrent. However we are repeating same mistakes as 1920s. Gap between rich and poor is widening all the time.

  2. #2

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Our defence cuts leave us looking feeble in the eyes of the world - Telegraph

    We are appeasing our enemies and making the same mistakes as in the 1930s during the rise of Nazism

    I disagree. We have a nuclear deterrent. However we are repeating same mistakes as 1920s. Gap between rich and poor is widening all the time.
    At least (some of) the megalomaniacs hell bent on global domination are on our side this time
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    MarillionFan is a fount of knowledge

    MarillionFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    .
    Posts
    35,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    At least (some of) the megalomaniacs hell bent on global domination are on our side this time

    What makes you think I'm on your side?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

  4. #4

    TykeLike

    SimonMac is a fount of knowledge

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    23,334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    What makes you think I'm on your side?
    I assume you're Pinky rather than the Brain
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  5. #5

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    I assume you're Pinky rather than the Brain
    Seems possible.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Narf!

  6. #6

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,337

    Default

    Germany now has more control over Europe that it did in 1943. Greece does not negotiate it's budget with the EU, it negotiates it with Germany. Merkel is now "open to discussion" over the United Kingdom's immigration policy.

    We should have nuked Moscow, Leningrad and Stalingrad in 45.

  7. #7

    Banned

    TykeMerc 's job has never been outsourced


    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Atlantis
    Posts
    8,066

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    "We"?

    "We" didn't have any nukes at all until 1952.

    The septics didn't have more than another couple of cores, and no operational weapons in 1945.
    True, plus the delivery would have been more than a trivial challenge, it's a long way to those cities from areas not controlled by the Soviets at the time.

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zeitghost View Post
    "We"?

    "We" didn't have any nukes at all until 1952.

    The septics didn't have more than another couple of cores, and no operational weapons in 1945.
    I'm happy to use 'we' in that context.

    I also don't for a second believe that they could not have produced 3 more bombs in that period.

  9. #9

    Super poster

    Zero Liability has more data than eek

    Zero Liability's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    2,039

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Our defence cuts leave us looking feeble in the eyes of the world - Telegraph

    We are appeasing our enemies and making the same mistakes as in the 1930s during the rise of Nazism

    I disagree. We have a nuclear deterrent. However we are repeating same mistakes as 1920s. Gap between rich and poor is widening all the time.
    You can thank activist central bank policy for the latter.

  10. #10

    More fingers than teeth

    minestrone is NOT a disguised employee

    minestrone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    16,337

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeMerc View Post
    True, plus the delivery would have been more than a trivial challenge, it's a long way to those cities from areas not controlled by the Soviets at the time.

    The Enola Gay had flight radius of 2900 miles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •