• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Passing

It was great fun poking the looney left over the 'wrongskin' idea. Even if some of it was a parody, the fact that people pass themselves off as belonging to a different racial group, for financial gain, is interesting.
    This woman, has just resigned, after pretending to be African American, native American, born in a tepee, used to get her food by hunting with a bow and arrow, etc, etc. She is actually born of well off white parents.

The point is that the Americans have a phrase for this, a meme, because this type of thing is so common. Any oldies here will remember the thousands of yanks who were abducted by aliens, got cancer that magically cured itsef, survived the twin towers, etc, etc.
    Now I know we get a bit of that over here, In the military we were well used to 'Walts'. Walter Mitty characters who were always in the SAS or busy flying Tornados back from Italy with a bowl of spaghetti on their laps.
    The difference is in the scale.
    Remember kids, passing don't mean what you think it means.

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
    It was great fun poking the looney left over the 'wrongskin' idea. Even if some of it was a parody, the fact that people pass themselves off as belonging to a different racial group, for financial gain, is interesting.
    This woman, has just resigned, after pretending to be African American, native American, born in a tepee, used to get her food by hunting with a bow and arrow, etc, etc. She is actually born of well off white parents.

The point is that the Americans have a phrase for this, a meme, because this type of thing is so common. Any oldies here will remember the thousands of yanks who were abducted by aliens, got cancer that magically cured itsef, survived the twin towers, etc, etc.
    Now I know we get a bit of that over here, In the military we were well used to 'MF's'. Walter Mitty characters who were always in the SAS or busy flying Tornados back from Italy with a bowl of spaghetti on their laps.
    The difference is in the scale.
    Remember kids, passing don't mean what you think it means.

FTFY
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Are you really an Eternal Optimist? hmmm, really?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

My parents think so. I remember my dad, the first time I pulled that England shirt on, 'you get out there son, you can have my nobel laureate if you score'
        (\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          My parents think so. I remember my dad, the first time I pulled that England shirt on, 'you get out there son, you can have my nobel laureate if you score'
          Was that on your trip to Conway Castle?

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post

Eternal Fantasist.

I'm not up to speed on this one, its complex; but I'm fairly sure there were no bows and arrows involved.
            My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke View Post
              but I'm fairly sure there were no bows and arrows involved.

it's not like you to be totally wrong, is it ?

'Dolezal has said she was born and lived in a teepee, recounting hunting their food with bow and arrow.[18] Her mother said she and her husband briefly lived in a teepee in 1974, three years before their daughter was born, and called the claims "totally false"'

we are talking fauxcahontas
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Wow.

I withdraw my remark and apologise fulsomely. She is nuts, even if the teepee bit seems to be based in fact ....
                My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Wow.

I withdraw my remark and apologise fulsomely. She is nuts.

indeed, she is nuts.

but it seems to be on a bigger scale in the US, hence the post.
                  anyone any experiences of fantasists ?

I knew a bloke who thought he was Bruce Lee, till he met some blokes who thought he wasn't
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Wow.

I withdraw my remark and apologise fulsomely. She is nuts, even if the teepee bit seems to be based in fact ....

her parents spent three days in a tepee, three years before she was born
                    (\__/)
                    (>'.'<)

Comment

Working...
                    X