• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Passing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's an odd one. It seems to me there are two issues here. One, she is identifying as black when she may not be, and two, she seems to be a fantasist. The second one is more straightforward, she's clearly made up a history to suit her and to try and reinforce the first one. I saw a program the other night about a guy called Christian Gerhardsreiter (I think) who is on trial for murder in America. He was a German immigrant who invented personas for himself, at one point claiming he was Clarke Rockefeller, of the Rockefeller family. A real life Tom Ripley.

The first issue is trickier. At first I dismissed it, saying she's clearly white, what a loon etc. But who decides she's too white to be black? At what point does someone become black? And if you switch it around, saying someone is too dark skinned to be white, you start sounding like a BNP member. I don't think this applies to her, but it's not as clear cut as I thought it was.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      At what point does someone become black?
      When the Guardian says so. Next...

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
        The first issue is trickier. At first I dismissed it, saying she's clearly white, what a loon etc. But who decides she's too white to be black? At what point does someone become black? And if you switch it around, saying someone is too dark skinned to be white, you start sounding like a BNP member. I don't think this applies to her, but it's not as clear cut as I thought it was.
        Check out Adrian Piper's Cornered (1988)

https://abagond.wordpress.com/2010/0...iper-cornered/ (you can find the actual piece on Youtube)

It's worth a watch.

In 2012, she retired from being black.
        APRAF Berlin: Biography

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          In 2012, she retired from being black.
          APRAF Berlin: Biography
          I stopped after, "Adrian Margaret Smith Piper (b. 1948) is a first-generation Conceptual artist and analytic philosopher." Waffly bollocks.
          I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by GlenW View Post
            I stopped after, "Adrian Margaret Smith Piper (b. 1948) is a first-generation Conceptual artist and analytic philosopher." Waffly bollocks.
            Your loss, I guess.

Comment

In todays indie, she (Dolezal) apparently called for a boycott of a film, because white actors played black roles

She described the film as "highly offensive", and accused it of "miseducation" (sic), "misrepresentation" and "robbing and shredding ancestry and history".
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
                In todays indie, she (Dolezal) apparently called for a boycott of a film, because white actors played black roles

She described the film as "highly offensive", and accused it of "miseducation" (sic), "misrepresentation" and "robbing and shredding ancestry and history".
                I felt like that about Renée Zellweger playing Bridget Jones.

Comment

Working...
                X