• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hedgetrimmer Recommendations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hedgetrimmer Recommendations

My flymo trimmer has just packed up & its time to get a new one.

Just wondering if anyone has tried a cordless electric trimmer. I'm always a bit worried anything cordless isn't going to be man enough for the job but I really don't like cables and buying a petrol engined trimmer is overkill for what I want.

Basically I've got about 50 feet of frontage, a beech hedge, that needs trimming maybe 3 times per year & I need the charge to last 1 hour & I need to be able to cut up to about 10 mm or so.

The Bosch looks OK - in homebase for £74; 20% off. Unfortunately the goofy young floorwalker wasn't very knowledgeable. So I'm asking here instead

I think the cordless tools have come on a long way - I bought a cordless lawnmower last year (Bosch) and am surprised and pleased with it, although I guess a huge bush or hedge is a different ball-game

Comment

I asked my head gardener, he sent me this photo.

HTH BIDI

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I asked my head gardener, he sent me this photo.

HTH BIDI

You call that straight!!

I don't know about the bush-whacker, but I think you need a new gardener!

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
          I think the cordless tools have come on a long way - I bought a cordless lawnmower last year (Bosch) and am surprised and pleased with it, although I guess a huge bush or hedge is a different ball-game
          May go for one of these:

£50 more than the Bosch but no charging to worry about & it cuts up to 28 mm so more than adequate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
            May go for one of these:

£50 more than the Bosch but no charging to worry about & it cuts up to 28 mm so more than adequate.
            Mantis UK ? Mantis Cordless Products

Bought a tiller/rotavator from these guys and it's immense. I intend to use their petrol long-arm hedge trimmer on my next office killing spree

Comment

Originally posted by lexington_spurs View Post
              Mantis UK ? Mantis Cordless Products

Bought a tiller/rotavator from these guys and it's immense. I intend to use their petrol long-arm hedge trimmer on my next office killing spree
              Yep, the long arm trimmer looks pretty neat. Sold out though. Didn't see a petrol version there.

Comment

The Bosch looks OK - in homebase for £74; 20% off. Unfortunately the goofy young floorwalker wasn't very knowledgeable. So I'm asking here instead
                I have a Bosch ahs 52 li and have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it, it cuts through our lime tree branches which are usually between 5 and 10 mil thick. it is probably the best gardening tool I have purchased.

On the strength of the product I went and got the Bosch rechargeable strimmer which is laughably poor, I probably should have taken it back.

I wouldn't touch flymo products again, I had to chuck out a lawnmower and strimmer recently after they packed in after only a few years,

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I have a Bosch ahs 52 li and have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it,
                  +1 for a cordless they are very very good

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I wouldn't touch flymo products again,,
                  yup
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

My flymo trimmer has just packed up & its time to get a new one.

Just wondering if anyone has tried a cordless electric trimmer. I'm always a bit worried anything cordless isn't going to be man enough for the job but I really don't like cables and buying a petrol engined trimmer is overkill for what I want.

Basically I've got about 50 feet of frontage, a beech hedge, that needs trimming maybe 3 times per year & I need the charge to last 1 hour & I need to be able to cut up to about 10 mm or so.

FOAD and not in that order.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X