• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bloody neighbour

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Get in Tony Blair as a peace envoy.
    Then, if it goes totally tits up, Kate Adie.
    I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Somehow doubt the veracity of OP, but ploughing on... obviously don't do anything illegal, like stealing dogs etc. Pick the worst two habits (barking dog, strimmer) and talk to his parents about it. Likely they have seen his behaviour patterns over decades so will understand, but be nice about it and don't just hand them a long list of problems with their son. They might be able to make helpful arrangements, arrange a carer to pop in daily, whatever.

They probably care about the lad and want him to fit in, so try and make friends with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
        Talking? To a neighbour? In person?
        Are you mad?

Seriously though as a parent of a disabled child who is likely to be in a similar situation in the future (living alone but with significant support), I would hope that this would be the approach taken.. Or speaking to the parents..

Some of the suggestions on here are ******** ridiculous, I know they were meant as jokes, but seriously... Kidnap a disabled guys dog... Yeah that's a GREAT idea and would have absolutely no negative consequences at all.
        I hope that when your child gets older you speak to their neighbours to avoid this sort of situation.

Ideally the parents will be spoken to. But people don't behave perfectly. If you are unlucky your child will have a neighbour with intolerable stresses.

I really feel for your situation by the way. I have autistic children. Good luck!

Comment

Scratch his car door

Comment

How close is your house to his that you can hear disturbance in his house so much as to wake your kid up ?? Is it a flat or something ? I doubt a proper detached house ( you are living in a detached house , right ? ) will have so many issues with neighbours etc. In fact, I would prefer an acre of space between me and any neighbours.
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by Pogle View Post
              FFS this place gets more like Mumsnet every day

It has never been the same ever since the Mumsnet invasion years ago. Its almost as if everybody acquired an injection of female hormones.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

From previous experience you won't win, you will always be on the lookout for issues and animosity will grow between both parties

The dog is simple, keep a record of all the times it barks over the period of a couple of weeks then pass this to the council dog warden, it's a thousand pound fine for allowing a dog to bark and cause a noise nuisance

The neighbour you need to go round and discuss it with them try and keep It amicable explain what your issues are ask him directly to tone it down, keep a record of all conversations and instances of when the issues occur, if the behaviour continues then report him to your local authority, even if the property is privately owned they can serve a nuisance abatement notice

Or the best options is to just move, I had 5 years of hassle with my neighbour tried all the reasonable avenues nothing worked so we sold up, and even though I thought they would be happy to see the back of us they even tried to put a mockers on that

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                  How close is your house to his that you can hear disturbance in his house so much as to wake your kid up ?? Is it a flat or something ? I doubt a proper detached house ( you are living in a detached house , right ? ) will have so many issues with neighbours etc. In fact, I would prefer an acre of space between me and any neighbours.
                  Sadly no, it's an 80's end terrace. If I could get a sodding mortgage I would sell up in a heartbeat.

Comment

Maybe you could buy him some easy-to-use computer game console, and a suitable game, "for his birthday"

If he is obsessive about strimming the lawn, perhaps he would be equally inclined to spend all day on the console.

as long as he didn't plug it into a stereo system, so you would have do endure 100 dB squawks and explosions all day!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      Maybe you could buy him some easy-to-use computer game console, and a suitable game, "for his birthday"

If he is obsessive about strimming the lawn, perhaps he would be equally inclined to spend all day on the console.

as long as he didn't plug it into a stereo system, so you would have do endure 100 dB squawks and explosions all day!
                      Buy him some good looking headphones as well. Then show him how to use them......
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X