• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Question for the cyclists

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    And Brillo, in the words of Greg Lemond - "It never gets easier, you just go faster."
    That's certainly true. I used to do a 20 mile route with some hills along the way, and it would take me about 2 hours. Today I did the same route in 1 hour and 20 minutes. But I still feel knackered all the way round; still feel like I have no stamina and still feel totally unfit. But obviously I'm going much faster so something must be working.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I was at the Glasgow transport museum last week, they have the 2 bikes Graeme Obree got the hour records on, they look like they have been put together by someone who can't weld.

Anyways, there was a little quote that he went for the starfish training method on a home built training bike, cycle as hard as you can as fast as you can until you are a starfish next to the bike. I liked that.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        That's certainly true. I used to do a 20 mile route with some hills along the way, and it would take me about 2 hours. Today I did the same route in 1 hour and 20 minutes. But I still feel knackered all the way round; still feel like I have no stamina and still feel totally unfit. But obviously I'm going much faster so something must be working.
        I'm going faster as I'm recording it. Got overtaken by some Lycra clad ladies earlier on the straight, but I'm on a mountain bike with a wheel splayed like an elephants foot under my weight, and they looked like they were cycling on razor blades. I can do distance, but I'd like to build stamina, so I'll stick with hills for a while And try the advice above to increase gears
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          I'm going faster as I'm recording it. Got overtaken by some Lycra clad ladies earlier on the straight, but I'm on a mountain bike with a wheel splayed like an elephants foot under my weight, and they looked like they were cycling on razor blades. I can do distance, but I'd like to build stamina, so I'll stick with hills for a while And try the advice above to increase gears
          Shout if you fancy an after work ride now the evenings are light. There's some nice routes round that way.

Comment

Has anyone read The Obree Way?

I'm thinking of picking it up.

Comment

That is what is called 'being chicked'.

Comment

If you could have kept up with them you would have got a nice view for longer! An incentive to train...

Comment

I always get MS or Brillo to carry me up! Its easier.

As a fat boy myself I always just keep changing down when forced and try to stay on the bike.

After a few goes you get a bit further up the hill, then you get to the top, then you get faster.

Seat height definitely a good point.

as mentioned MTFU!
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    I always get MS or Brillo to carry me up! Its easier.

As a fat boy myself I always just keep changing down when forced and try to stay on the bike.

After a few goes you get a bit further up the hill, then you get to the top, then you get faster.

Seat height definitely a good point.

as mentioned MTFU!
                    You still cycling?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                      You still cycling?
                      not so much manshack & house taking up all my time but will get back to it later in year.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X