• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Online music stores

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Oh. I'll take a look, thanks.

What's occurring with DRM these days ? I stopped buying stuff on iTunes as it was a faff to play on other devices - I stream stuff locally from a Synology NAS to devices...
    I think it comes as MP3 or similar unencumbered format these days, everyone seemed to give up on DRM for stuff you'd bought.

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    1. Buy CD from Amazon
    2. Rip it. Copy to all your players and car
    3. Shove it in the attic
    Most CDs from Amazon come with a free MP3 copy through Autorip... often the CD is cheaper (even with delivery) than the MP3 album so I have a pile of unopened CDs.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by MicrosoftBob View Post
      NAS box for me full of FLAC and MP3s, £0 a month for offline and online listening
      Well quite. I have a similar digitized collection of all my old music, some bought and ripped, plenty hooky copies off the web.

Comment

Where are the "kool kidz" buying their music online these days ?

Or are they streaming it - but I want to listen to it offline, so I'm not cool enough for streaming just yet.

Think the last stuff I bought was from Amazon ...

Since the death of all my fave record shops, I tend to use Traxsource, Beatport, Stompy (although this has just closed) and Juno

Comment

Onto page two and not one person has mentioned torrents
          Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
          I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Most CDs from Amazon come with a free MP3 copy through Autorip... often the CD is cheaper (even with delivery) than the MP3 album so I have a pile of unopened CDs.
            So for me....

1. Buy from Amazon with Autorip
            2. Stream from AmazonCloud to Sonos - whilst waiting for CD
            3. Download from AmazonCloud to NAS
            4. Put CD in CD rack on wall

Comment

You can download a copy immediately you purchase, so I'm not sure 2 & 3 are both needed. But yes

Of course a dodgy person would then sell the physical CD; I assume that's not lawful but I've no idea how it works - do they rely on an honour system that you will stop listening to MP3s/streaming of albums you no longer own the CD for?
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

You can download a copy immediately you purchase, so I'm not sure 2 & 3 are both needed. But yes
                Yeah, but I'm playing it while you're downloading I want it now LOL

Comment

Of course a dodgy person would then sell the physical CD; I assume that's not lawful but I've no idea how it works - do they rely on an honour system that you will stop listening to MP3s/streaming of albums you no longer own the CD for?
                  Interesting point, not that I'd sell mine as I like them on the wall and all the touchy feely bit of them.

My friends think I'm a luddite when I talk about buying CDs, they think I of all people shouldn't be doing this...

Comment

Where are the "kool kidz" buying their music online these days ?

Or are they streaming it - but I want to listen to it offline, so I'm not cool enough for streaming just yet.

Think the last stuff I bought was from Amazon ...
                    My teenagers ( 17, 14 & 13 ) have never bought a CD in their lives. Ever thing is streamed ( from Spotify ).

It would not even cross their minds to purchase a CD and if they did we'd have a problem as we don't have a CD player in the house. Have 7 iPods, six laptops, 3 tablets and a couple of games consoles.

The "cool" music isn't on Spotify though. And it's definitely not on Apple Music. It is being made by teenagers and early 20-somethings in their bedrooms and pushed out on the likes of YouTube.

* * Which reminds me. Being an old fart I have several draws full of CD's from the late 80's and 90's which I have absolutely no way of playing. Really must take them to the charity shop.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
                      It would not even cross their minds to purchase a CD and if they did we'd have a problem as we don't have a CD player in the house. Have 7 iPods, six laptops, 3 tablets and a couple of games consoles.
                      And that's why I bought a Bang and Olufsen HiFi like this:

http://beophile.com/?page_id=1132

Looks ace and sounds superb.

Comment

Working...
                      X