• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting UK not viable. Where then?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
    What are viable alternatives to contracting in the UK, now that the government have effectively killed the industry overnight?
    It's not viable to pay less tax overall than a permie, while earning far more?

You're seriously saying that paying a fairly typical level of tax on £400/day is no a sustainable way of living?

How out of touch with the real world can you be?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I would suggest NZ, but I am pretty sure everyone's a permo there

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Probably, but as a lifestyle choice, you can get a **** off big house, big V8 car and life it large like a footballer compared to the UK.
        Depends on where you are looking in NZ. The nicer parts of Auckland are prohibitively expensive. I was once offered a job in Christchurch but it fell through. Thank heavens for that given the earthquake.

It is a lovely country though. However, the contracting market is pretty non-existent.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
          Didn't Australia bring in their own version of IR35 making LtdCo use pretty much impossible?
          AIUI its a bit more logical it measures how many customers you have and decides so if you have 8 customers a year where most of your income comes from equally then you are outside, if you haave employees and a substantial premises you are out etc.

its not HMRC think you are so lets go to court.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            It's not viable to pay less tax overall than a permie, while earning far more?

You're seriously saying that paying a fairly typical level of tax on £400/day is no a sustainable way of living?

How out of touch with the real world can you be?
            It's not just the dividend tax. I typically contract in London but live elsewhere. My travel and accommodation expenses are around £ 25k per annum. If they shut that door as well I'm doomed.

Comment

Originally posted by alphadog View Post
              I would suggest NZ, but I am pretty sure everyone's a permo there
              Avoid NZ. Tay is there.

Comment

Greece!

Always best to get in on the ground of a whole new venture right?

Comment

It's not just the dividend tax. I typically contract in London but live elsewhere. My travel and accommodation expenses are around £ 25k per annum. If they shut that door as well I'm doomed.
                  a)Why is that anyone's fault but yours?
                  b)Why does it make that big a difference (genuine question)?
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                    a)Why is that anyone's fault but yours?
                    b)Why does it make that big a difference (genuine question)?
                    You sound like a slightly brainwashed bbc reporter

Comment

Same here.

I'd have to move close to somewhere where there's a good constant supply of contract work, i.e. the South East.

I'm already completely disillusioned with IT work so this could be the nudge that would force me to go and do something completely different.

I'm not talking going permie - getting out of the whole game altogether.

I've got no kids so downshifting to something less lucrative is a viable option.

Comment

Working...
                      X