• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Living Wage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    £9 p/h will be the highest minimum wage in Europe, seemingly.
    And costs of living in UK ought to be pretty high up there too...

Comment

However, in keeping with policy, the living wage for women will, of course, be less than that for men.

Why didn't Osbourne put his mouth ahead of his balls and put into law that both sexes get paid exactly the same when doing the same job: UK has sixth-largest male-female pay gap in EU - Telegraph
      Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        And costs of living in UK ought to be pretty high up there too...
        'Cost of living' ? Housing benefit. Tax credits. Free healthcare.

Try turning up on their doorstep and getting that lot in America or Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashman View Post
          'Cost of living' ? Housing benefit. Tax credits. Free healthcare.
          Try turning up on their doorstep and getting that lot in America or Australia.
          Don't know about Australia, but cost of living in USA is a lot lower than UK.

Housing benefit, tax credits all going in this country, that was the reason why it was possible to have such low minimum wage - taxpayer subsidy to some employers.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

Why didn't Osbourne put his mouth ahead of his balls and put into law that both sexes get paid exactly the same when doing the same job
            They do. They have done for a very long time.
            The only way to remove the pay gap (I have no idea why you'd want to, but if you did) would be to stop men & women from choosing their own career paths.

For example, you'd have to stop men from choosing to be surgeons so much, and stop women from choosing to work in paediatrics so much, in favour of being a surgeon. Or measure 'the same job' less generally.

You'd also have to force more men to only work part-time, and force more women to leave their children in the care of strangers, or their husbands (which may fit into them working less hours nicely), while they work full-time.

But... why?

Comment

Does anybody seriously believe that the National Minimum Living Wage is anything other than a deliberate inflationary measure?

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                Does anybody seriously believe that the National Minimum Living Wage is anything other than a deliberate inflationary measure?
                I don't see it as anything other than correcting the tax credit system.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I don't see it as anything other than correcting the tax credit system.
                  Especially that archaic and hard to understand dividends tax credit system...

Tory s

Last time I voted me thinking.

Such a material change should have been in their manifesto.

Comment

Tory s

Manifesto is to win votes. Doesn't matter, in terms of votes, whether we get stiffed or not.

Comment

Tory s

You are probably more used to a 5 year plan and the odd purge cycle

Comment

Working...
                      X