• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

French help Greeks Surrender

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's been a lot of grandstanding and I don't think Tsipras and his government have any real desire for Grexit. Too wedded to the Euro and continued bailouts. They just want the debt written off in part. Anyway, this would still have to go through the German and a number of other even less enthusiastic parliaments, representing populations which are understandably sceptical about bailing out Greece and the rest of the periphery.

If they don't want the 'austerity', they should leave; in which case they'll get the genuine article later on, or suffer an economic withering into third world status.

None of the major governments (the very nosy US included) and institutions involved want any loss of power, prestige or rocking of the boat, so I doubt Greece will be going anywhere. A write off of some sort is inevitable based on the economics of it alone and I think the creditors will just swallow the losses rather than risk non payment.

Comment

I just don't see the point of holding a referendum then accepting everything that was rejected especially after taking it to the brink (capital controls etc). Maybe it was to give a glimpse of how bad things could get to the Greek people if they exit. Now they will accept anything to avoid it and Tsipras looks like the hero for saving Greece from economic disaster (only if he gets some debt relief).

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
        Tsipras looks like the hero for saving Greece from economic disaster (only if he gets some hand relief from Merkel).
        ftfy
        Last edited by FatLazyContractor; 10 July 2015, 11:29. Reason: Forgot Merkel

Comment

Originally posted by Unix View Post
          I just don't see the point of holding a referendum then accepting everything that was rejected especially after taking it to the brink (capital controls etc). Maybe it was to give a glimpse of how bad things could get to the Greek people if they exit. Now they will accept anything to avoid it and Tsipras looks like the hero for saving Greece from economic disaster (only if he gets some debt relief).
          The idea of the referendum was the Greeks would vote yes! Then Tsipras could walk away....

Comment

Latvia, Malta and several other parliaments need to approve any deal, and any debt relief has to be run past the German parliament. And all this is going to happen over the weekend? Yeah right. Grexit baby [emoji133]
            http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
              Latvia, Malta and several other parliaments need to approve any deal, and any debt relief has to be run past the German parliament. And all this is going to happen over the weekend? Yeah right. Grexit baby [emoji133]
              It is what needs to happen. And Greece would recover in a few months.

But a deal will be done. The Greek suffering will carry on.

Comment

Markets Love the Greek Proposal - Bloomberg Business

for anyone with Greek stocks .....bring it on ....
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Markets Love the Greek Proposal - Bloomberg Business

for anyone with Greek stocks .....bring it on ....
                  How large is your Greek position?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    How large is your Greek position?
                    Whatever it was, it just got bigger....

Shares were suspended a week ago so I'll find out on Tuesday.

I went wandering the Athens stock exchange shouting "Buy" a while back....

"He who dares"
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

It's just a farce. Greece said "we're not taking that deal". Then they said "we'll ask the population". Then the population said "we won't take the deal". Now Greece is saying "please can we take that deal even though the people rejected it?" Meanwhile everything has completely fallen apart and the deal is not going to help even if it is accepted.

Stop the pantomime, please.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X