• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Would you live next to an electricity substation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You will wake up one morning to the smell of cooked Romanian gypsy.

Comment

Wouldn't bother me, there's houses round here that have one on neighbouring land, can't say I've heard anything from them.

Living under a 440,000V pylon though would be another matter...

Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
      "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        The main road drowns out the noise [emoji102] cables are buried. It's a nice gaff other than that. Prob another £100k without the subbie
        At night it may not. Have a listen. I live about 250 yards from a (somewhat larger) substation. I rejected a house that was much nearer because of the noise. On a summer night in the back garden I can still just hear it, but it has to be very quiet. During the day not at all.

Comment

A constant wine would drive me bonkers - has to be said!
          http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

A constant wine would drive me bonkers - has to be said!
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

The main road drowns out the noise [emoji102] cables are buried. It's a nice gaff other than that. Prob another £100k without the subbie
              Is it worth putting up with for the 100K difference ?

Yes the resale wont be as good, and the house will never be worth as much as the rest on that street, but then would you be able to get a house on that street without it.

Comment

A constant whine would drive me bonkers - has to be said!
                Don't get married then....

Comment

I rented a house with a modest sub next door. Buzz drove me mad at night.
                  DORMANT ACCOUNT

Comment

My House is next door to one, it's open air with a fence around it, I did a fair bit of checking these thing out before buying the house and there is a large amount off BS surrounding the risks of radiation/cancer, none of it appears to have ever been proven, but people obviously always need to blame something, when people mention it to me I just advise them of the dangers of having their mobile phone stuck to their ear all day.

I don't think you will have any issue with resale on it because if you look around they are everywhere, on one of the new estates near me there actually enclosed in grey cabinets that look like garages so no one takes any notice but there still the same thing.

Also the enclosed ones normally have more equipment in them so give of more radiation, allegedly

if there is the option to put a hedge around it this will help the look and stop a lot of the sound obviously you need to leave the access for the leccy board if the gate is on your side.

when I say noise it really depends on how close you get to it and the weather, if it's raining then they will buzz and crackle more than normal but unless your really listening for it you don't really hear it, generally I need to be within a couple of meters of it to hear it buzzing

the problem I found is because it is a low pitched buzzing if you stand and listen to it when you walk away if your then in a quiet area you still feel like you can hear it for a few minutes afterwards, and then your trying to hear it over everything else, once your used to it and stop listening for it, it's fine and to be honest my virgin router makes more noise than the substation and probably gives off more radiation

Comment

Working...
                    X