• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jeremy Corbyn announces £10bn plan to scrap university tuition fees

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought Ed was criticised for being 'too left wing' and reliant on union support; doesn't this guy exaggerate that problem? You'd think they'd go for someone like Kendall at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
      Corbyn offers nothing new either, just a giddy trip back to the heady la la days of the 1970s. How did that work out for Labour?
      Call the IMF - they must know
      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

My view is that we should only make free those subjects where we have a skill gap. Free doctors, free engineers etc. But we have more than enough lawyers and psychologists.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
          I thought Ed was criticised for being 'too left wing' and reliant on union support; doesn't this guy exaggerate that problem? You'd think they'd go for someone like Kendall at this point.
          I think this guy can eat a bacon sandwich.

They know this guy isn't going to be there in a few years which is why the decent candidates aren't standing at all.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Since when has a poolitican saying something during an election ever meant they will go through with it?!
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Jeremy Corbyn announces £10bn plan to scrap university tuition fees

IMHO it will be refreshing to have some difference in policy ideas, and different ideology. Whilst I don't agree with all of it, I'm am bored of all this centre ground focus group generated look on the immediate no future strategy clap trap.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
                IMHO it will be refreshing to have some difference in policy ideas, and different ideology. Whilst I don't agree with all of it, I'm am bored of all this centre ground focus group generated look on the immediate no future strategy clap trap.
                If you read David Aarnovich in the Times today he likens people like you to russell brand and all the other new parties of the left and right that have sprung up as a reaction in much the same way as you view things. unfortunately it is not a flattering view. He argues that the revolution is over and that in the wake of there being nothing on offer to replace the status quo with we are left with a centre right party when what is needed is a centre left party that is currently abolishing itself.

You may find politics boring but the only realistic practical choice people will have is between centre left and centre right.

As for Corbyn his ideals and policies are those of a bygone age. They failed then and they would fail now.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Corbyn offers nothing new either, just a giddy trip back to the heady la la days of the 1970s. How did that work out for Labour?
                  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxati...United_Kingdom

In 1971 the top-rate of income tax on earned income was cut to 75%. A surcharge of 15% on investment income kept the top rate on that income at 90%. In 1974 this cut was partly reversed, and the top rate on earned income raised to 83%. With the investment income surcharge this raised the top rate on investment income to 98%, the highest permanent rate since the war.
                  Something for the younger working people to think about for a minute before they go all left wing and head us to the IMF for a bailout....

Comment

oh I don't know he will make them unelectable which is great!
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                      Since when has a poolitican saying something during an election ever meant they will go through with it?!
                      How dare you malign David Cameron like that?

The prime minister has praised the 1.4m individuals in the UK who have ditched the comfort of a regular wage to go freelance.

Cameron made the comment in a letter to the Professional Contractors Group (PCG) to mark National Freelancers Day.

"I can't tell you how much admiration I have for people who leave the comfort of a regular wage to strike out on their own", he said. "It takes a lot of courage and without that courage this country would be a much poorer place.

"The 1.4m freelancers in our country make a massive contribution to our economy. More and more people are choosing freelancing, recognising that it strikes the right balance between work and life in the 21st century, and as we go for economic growth this Government is getting right behind them."

John Brazier, managing director of PCG, added: "What an inspiring endorsement from the prime minister. He has underlined the importance of this sector. Freelancers bring talent, skills and flexibility to the market place.

"More and more people see freelancing as a conscious career choice and it is encouraging to see...that their worth, skill and flexibility is appreciated and seen as a necessity by businesses throughout the UK."

According to a poll by PCG and ComRes, 60% of business leaders said it would be difficult for their company to operate without freelancers and 55% claimed freelancers were essential to growing the UK economy.

Stuart Davis, chair of the Freelance and Contractor Services Association (FCSA), also welcomed the celebration of the UK's freelancers who contribute £21bn to the economy but warned that the potential threats to the sector must be recognised.

"Next November the outlook for UK freelancers may be much bleaker," he said. "The Agency Workers Regulations are intended to protect vulnerable workers, but it is likely to inhibit companies hiring professional freelancers when it comes into force next year unless guidance recognises the diversity of the flexible workforce.

"While the FCSA welcomes the coalition government’s efforts to simplify tax regulation and review IR35, proposals like the centralisation of PAYE will complicate, not simplify and so limit economic growth."
                      Cameron should have added "With our trousers down and a can of lube at the ready."

Comment

Working...
                      X