• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

oh dear (tm): Generation rent: the housing ladder starts to collapse for the under-40

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    honestly some tenants can be right twerps. The landlord frequently has to fund the bad behavior of the tenant.

My family have rented out accommodation for over 50 years. Over the years we have been put into hospital,dragged out of bed at 2am many times, lost tens of thousands of pounds by people failing to pay rent, dialled 999 many many times and been falsely accused of many things.

There are many great tenants out there, some immature or thoughtless ones but a small minority are absolute scum and you wouldn't lend them a pen. Many of them seem to draw Dole so strangely they screw up their peers and landlords won't take them.

The reason Landlords are restrictive is because they are protecting their significant investment that most of their tenants will never understand took an awful lot of effort to purchase.

Pets pee & poo everywhere, they bark and disrupt the neighbors of course your pet is perfect and no trouble that doesn't mean we won't have to clear up its poop when you leave.

The outrageous rent & deposit is to cover:
    redecorating when the tenant decides to paint all the walls gloss black.
    The works of art little Darlings create on the walls.
    burns all over the kitchen sides with hot pans or un-shielded candles and josticks.
    Replace the floor when the tenant repeatedly floods the place and it rots.
    Pay the electricity bill when the tenant bypasses the coin electric meter with jump leads.
    The extra faff when the tenant turns out to be an illegal despite showing papers.
    When the ex comes round and breaks down the door.

Rent controls that beggar the landlords and they will leave the trade.Those that remain will only choose the best tenants and those with kids & dogs will be homeless.

What needs to happen is that the deposit system act more like a referral system proving the tenant is a good bet and has no defaults, is a legal UK citizen and not wanted for beating up landlords.

The courts should allow a quick eviction within 1 month if the tenant is say 3 months behind or is causing a nuisance.

The courts should prosecute illegal landlords harshly.

The government should build more houses and stop the population exploding.
    Nothing wrong with the above, both sides should be subject to appropriate laws and controls to protect everyone.

It is not only landlords and tenants that are the problem though, much is caused by unscrupulous scroats of agents. I rented a property for 6 months once via the company to reduce the costs of working over 200 miles away. Extension meant I had to extend for a further 6 months which the agent and landlord agreed to, signed the documents and carried on. 1 month later, I get a repossession order from the Official Receiver because the scum LL had gone bankrupt and the agent allowed me to re-sign knowing that fact. When I pulled them up on it, they lied their asses off even though I had a copy of the letter from the OR to state that they had notified the LL and the agent. Agent cried and whined about giving me the deposit back.

I stopped paying rent, threatened the agent and got the deposit back and vacated 4 months later when the contract ended, 4 months rent the richer!

Had it been my family home and kids were involved it would have been a nightmare. I would suggest there are at least as many bad agents and LLs out there as there are bad tenants.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
      Well not sure what this article is supposed to tell me.

Other than there are many affordable houses in England,Scotland and Wales
      Then you have comprehension problems or you are being deliberately obtuse.

Comment

Despite all the 'hard work' on landlords dealing with bad tenants, there is still GOOD MONEY to be made out of renting property. That is why landlords are landlords. So yeah, you have to work a bit for your money!
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
          I would add it up:

Full Sky TV package. £50/month
          Latest phone contract. £50/month
          Gym. £50/month
          Fancy car on finance. £300/month
          Holidays abroad. Lets call it £200/month
          Christmas spending frenzy. Lets say £100/month
          Nights out, meals, clothes and cosmetic procedures. £250/month

There's the money that would make the deposit in about 2 years.....and pay the morgage after that.

Generation "Want it all, want it now!"
          You are wither being sarcastic or elitist jerk, for thinking everyone is a £500pd contractor

Average 2 kids household annual net income - 32000

Rent for 2 bedroom property in decent area - 12000pa
          Household bills (council tax, electricity, gas, internet, no Sky TV, no fancy mobile) - £3600pa
          Food (supermarket bill, no eating out) - £7800pa
          Transportation (public transit, no fancy car on finance) - £2400pa
          Child care - £5000pa
          Total expenditure- 30800pa

It will only take them 40 years to save up fro a deposit.

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
            Despite all the 'hard work' on landlords dealing with bad tenants, there is still GOOD MONEY to be made out of renting property. That is why landlords are landlords. So yeah, you have to work a bit for your money!
            Yes there is a little bit of work involved work like anything but not all landlords are rich or have property empires, I watched Nightmare Tenants and Slum Landlords on Channel 5 and it was a real eye opener. 6 months without payment whilst still having to pay the mortgage is how long it took one guy to get a non paying tenant evicted and he did it by adhering to the law, the only reason he was able to rent out his flat is that he had met someone and they had moved in together.

He never set out to be a landlord it was more fortunate circumstances .
            In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
              You are wither being sarcastic or elitist jerk, for thinking everyone is a £500pd contractor

Average 2 kids household annual net income - 32000

Rent for 2 bedroom property in decent area - 12000pa
              Household bills (council tax, electricity, gas, internet, no Sky TV, no fancy mobile) - £3600pa
              Food (supermarket bill, no eating out) - £7800pa
              Transportation (public transit, no fancy car on finance) - £2400pa
              Child care - £5000pa
              Total expenditure- 30800pa

It will only take them 40 years to save up fro a deposit.
              And where did you obtain these figures from?
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by tractor View Post
                Simplistic bollocks!

Did you not read the post above where people through circumstances have to start over?
                'Kids' of 30, still living with their parents who have been saving for a deposit when the goalposts change and move further away weekly?
                Financial institutions refusing to lend in order to prop up their balance sheets after the crash they caused.

There is an undeniable shortage of homes, let alone affordable homes throughout the country, while hundreds of thousands of them sit empty, appreciating for their owners.

I don't argue that some sectors should control their 'breeding' but so should controls be in place for rents and the profits the industry makes from property.

What kind of ridiculous situation is it that forces people to buy a house FOR a landlord who owns multiple dwellings but prevents the renter from buying their own?
                The landlords are not the problem, the shortage of houses is.

If the BTL landlords evict their tenants and sell their flats etc who is going to buy them ?

3 choices

1. Speculators probably foreign who will buy and not let it out.
                2. Contractors who need a week home and an investment.
                3. Rich people who want a second home in an area for the week, weekend or their kids and now they are cheap snap them up..

none of those will help most renters.

We made much more money out of other businesses but its part of the portfolio.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                  And where did you obtain these figures from?
                  Google and own experience

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Google and own experience
                    So what area of the country was that relevant to?
                    In Scooter we trust

Comment

A lot of people are bringing in their own experience here to prove that their side has a point. So me too!

In short: I have rented in Scotland, England, the USA, France, Netherlands, Germany, and Switzerland. I have bought in Scotland, England, and France (and as it happens I have been a landlord in Scotland and France). England is the only place where I have been driven to buy when I didn't really want to, essentially because it sucks to be a tenant there.

Comment

Working...
                      X