• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Climate Catastrophe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    I'm tulip
    As you were then.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      I'm tulip

No you're not, you're a very naughty boy
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

July was warmest month on Earth in 136 years, NOAA says - LA Times
        My subconscious is annoying. It's got a mind of its own.

Comment

Wow Over 136 years!!!

I am holidaying in the UK .. bring it on.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

To be expected really, as we are in the warm part of the climate cycle.

Enjoy it while its lasts, because.....

Global Cooling Ahead

Had they looked at the temperatures over the last 250 years, they may have arrived at a different conclusion.

Lüdecke, Hempelmann and Weiss also examined the oldest existing thermometer datasets going back some 250 years [2] taken at the locations of Kremsmünster, Vienna, Prague, Hohenpeißenberg, Munich and Paris. Their study also included ice cores and stalagmite datasets, which the scientists say “show exclusively periodic climate changes in fine detail. There is no trace of aperiodic effects, such as from the continuously rising CO2 concentration in the atmosphere
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 22 August 2015, 11:59.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

According to the satellite temperatures it was not the hottest July in 136 years.

In fact it wasn't even the hottest July in the last two years.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Stop with your facts we're doomed I tell ya

Doomed

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  To be expected really, as we are in the warm part of the climate cycle.

Enjoy it while its lasts, because.....

Global Cooling Ahead

Had they looked at the temperatures over the last 250 years, they may have arrived at a different conclusion.
                  Many, many attempts have been made to apply dubious filtering and curve-fitting techniques to the temp record to find cycles (check out the work of Nicola Scarfetta). None, including this, explain the recent rapid rise. I'll be surprised if the paper is ever published. Here's a review by Richard Telford of the University of Bergen.

http://www.clim-past-discuss.net/11/...-C206-2015.pdf

Lüdecke et al filter their proxy data with an OLS filter. Lüdecke et al argue that this filter
                  allows them to focus on the rate of temperature rise rather than temperature per se.
                  However, the effect is to use a (poorly performing) band-pass filter. Low frequencies are
                  supressed. High frequencies are also supressed but not monotonically. Frequencies
                  near the 1/200 year cycle the paper seeks to detect are preserved and consequently
                  dominate the filtered record. [...]

The rationale for using this filter does not seem greatly persuasive, especially since
                  the authors explain that the filtered record is just a phase shift from the original with
                  the advantage that frequencies they do not wish to consider supressed. Even if the
                  authors processed white noise, they would find apparent de Vries cycles fairly often
                  with this filter.

The predictions for future climate are dubious. The 200-year cycle the authors have
                  extracted from the proxy data represents a very small component of the variance in
                  the proxies. It only appears large in this paper because of the filter used. Even if
                  this cycle could be predicted, which is doubtful as at least some of its power is due
                  to volcanic forcing, the contribution of other frequencies would make any prediction
                  useless before we even consider the role of anthropogenic forcings. The predictions
                  would be more credible if the methods could be shown to have some predictive power.
                  This could be done by splitting the data into two parts, fitting the sine waves to one part
                  and comparing the predictions with the remainder of the data.
                  Rather than making dubious predictions about future climate, it would be much more
                  valuable if the authors explored the physical relationship between solar variability and
                  the proxy records. How is it possible that, for example, the proxies are not in phase
                  with each other and the TSI if they are governed by the de Vries cycle?

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    According to the satellite temperatures it was not the hottest July in 136 years.

In fact it wasn't even the hottest July in the last two years.
                    So you don't understand the difference between absolute temperatures and anomalies, or indeed the lower atmosphere and the surface.

Comment

It's starting to look like In North America they had the refusal of the great lakes ice to melt, In Europe we had a cold July, Asia - freezing, Arctic - ice up, Antarctic - ice up, Australia - dismal and cold, South America - colder than normal.
                      But from a global point of view, it seems to have been very warm.
                      (\__/)
                      (>'.'<)
                      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Working...
                      X