• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

******* Dartford Crossing!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    So the idea is that people will see a sign saying "Dart Charge". They'll then wonder what that is, so google it - and then they'll discover that there's a toll at the Dartford Crossing?

Perhaps if they simply stated "Dartford Crossing Toll" it would be just a little less complicated.

Let me google that for you
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      There used to be a fellow who would row you across the Manchester Ship Canal for a penny - there was a footpath there with some covenant on it hence the boat.

Wonder if it's still there - was in 70's - near Irlam I think.....
      nah he has gone, if its the same bloke. The missus talks about it occasionally. There is a toll bridge further down, you pay 12p to go across by car. Occasionally they are in the news for forcing funeral processions to pay up.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Presumably they expect you to read detailed instructions as to how to pay whilst driving at 70mph.

I had no idea this was the case; not that I ever go that way.
        It's worse than that - they just say DartPay - look us up on the web (which I didn't see at the time as I was too busy looking at the thousand cars all playing whacky races when the white lines evaporate as all those lanes merge).

Only reason I didn't get caught out recently was because I happened to mention to my dad that evening (luckily i saw him) that the booths were gone but I saw a big rec C over the road. I thought it was the congestion charge all the way out to dartford!

At the very least I feel like invoicing them for the 20 minutes I spent on the web trying to figure out what it was all about and how to pay.

Comment

Figures from Highways England reveal that, in the first seven months since the system was introduced in November 2014, 950,000 penalty charge notices (PCNs) had been issued as of June 20 for non-payment.
          Chief adjudicator Caroline Sheppard told Fleet News that she believed the sending of warning letters, which give drivers 14 days to pay the fee and have the PCN cancelled, had “successfully stemmed a potential tidal wave of appeals”.
          From the sounds of it they have been busy bunnies fining people, but they have already started writing to people so they pay the fee instead of a fine.

I can't recall the last time I used either Dartford crossing so I didn't know they'd binned the toll booths.

Comment

FoI request shows that SimonMac may not be one in a million, but he is one in 953,067: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...8_Redacted.pdf

Comment

I use this every day, you can register online and set an auto top up of 10 quids at a time. The payment through an online account is 1.67 per crossing.
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

It's the trial of toll motorways ...

Comment

Working...
                X