• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Times where you nearly 'bought the farm', had things been slightly different

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was buying a farm through these guys UK Land and Farms - Farms for sale | Equestrian properties for sale | Houses with land for sale

But then I woke up.

Comment

I was getting sucked off once, and I nearly drowned.
      Sitting on some rocks on a remote Scottish island, enjoying some quality time when a large wave hit me and the power nearly drew me into the sea. It was impossible to fight against the suction. next wave put right back on top of another rock.
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Numerous close calls during my career as a motorcycle courier in London. I was a student and at that age where you still thnk you are invincible. This included bouncing over the bonnet of an unmarked police car.

Still not as bad as this though http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/m...-10449418.html

Removing the springs from the rear ramp of a horse lorry unaided, and then getting clobbered by half a ton of wood and metal as it came down in a hurry. Stiches in my head and concussion from that one. I was quicker on my feet back then as well.
        Last edited by DaveB; 12 August 2015, 10:27.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          Good story but if you start an engine with the car in reverse the engine stalls.
          Not when the car (Land Cruiser) in question has a 4.2L 6 cylinder inline diesel engine it doesn't, as I found out that day.

Put simply the engine has more torque in the first couple of cydinder firings than the resistance provided by the car sat in reverse (lower ration than 1st) and parking brake on.
          Last edited by rl4engc; 12 August 2015, 10:37.
          Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
          "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
            Good story but if you start an engine with the car in reverse the engine stalls.
            No it doesn't (unless the handbrake is on), it's no different from starting a car in a forward gear...
            Do what thou wilt

Comment

Walking home from high school, along a residential cul-de-sac where all the kids walked in the road. About 10m behind me were a couple of the 'rebel' lads, one of which decided it would be a good idea to throw this half brick, indescriminately forward into the road. It happened to hit my backpack/right shoulder, had it been 15cm to the left I'd probably have been curtains, or at the very least a fractured skull.

Not sure what happened to the amateur-shotputter-in-training, but some years later (this was in the days before f****book where once you left school, you actually lost contact with everyone you wanted to lose contact with) I found out the other 'rebel' he was with, had had a troubled adulthood; drugs, depression, and eventually topped himself by torching himself.

Lessons learnt: You can't mitigate for this scenario.
              Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
              "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Fell into the Thames as a toddler and sunk like a stone. I was saved by a completely deaf guy who had noticed I had disappeared and made a useful, to me, logical conclusion.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  1987. In my capri.
                  1983, in my Capri. Here it is:

Last edited by Platypus; 12 August 2015, 10:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    1983, in my Capri. Here it is:

Respect...

Was that colour "Sahara Beige" by any chance?
                    Do what thou wilt

Comment

Originally posted by Dark Black View Post
                      Respect...

Was that colour "Sahara Beige" by any chance?
                      The stain on the seat is sh1t brown.
                      I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Working...
                      X