• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Return to IT and contracting?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Return to IT and contracting?

Hi,

I'm a former C, RDBMS, UNIX programmer, that has spent the last 15 years working up in trees.

With age and injuries, I'm looking to return to IT and contracting. I've 'kept my eye in' a bit.

I guess I need to learn new programming languages - and a flavour of C++ seems most obvious, but I'm interested in which languages and skills members think I should learn in order to get regular contracts?

Thanks in advance
    Paul

Hi Paul,

Make most sense to take a permie job first, one that can provide some free training in something modern and build up a couple of years of experience in it.

15 is quite some gap on the IT contractor CV. Most clients look horrified at a months gap these days, or even having a day off in 15 years.

Comment

How to use internet forums properly would be a good skill to start with.

It appears you can speak Swedish and French though. That might be useful.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
      X