• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

instant revenue

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

instant revenue

BBC reports that a council painted a yellow line under a parked car, and then ticketed it.

Tell me really, could you make this up?

That sort of thing happens every day. Most councils are exceeding their powers by issuing illegal tickets. The problem is that is now a Civil Penalty so there is less burden of proof. They will issues doubtful tickets knowing they few people will contest them
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

And the government wants to give councils more power of "revenue generation"!

The dodgy tire bit sounds like the guy is having a laugh though.

Mailman
      Last edited by Mailman; 3 October 2006, 11:11.

Comment

Originally posted by expat
        BBC reports that a council painted a yellow line under a parked car, and then ticketed it.

Tell me really, could you make this up?
        Happened to me 14 years ago, so it's not even a new thing.

Comment

interesting, that the picture shows a non continuous line so the rules applying to the line are not enforceable.

I got off one a couple of years ago for a similar reason.
          Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof
            interesting, that the picture shows a non continuous line so the rules applying to the line are not enforceable.

Interesting Point Mrs G.

Saw a documentary a couple of years ago about how 50% (or so) road markings related to parking in the UK do not conform to legal standards and are invalid. Consequently, fines cannot legally be imposed.

There are very strict rules for location, dimensions, style and many other things of lines painted on roads - but most councils ingore or bend these, making their road markup illegal and unenforceable.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by MrsGoof

Which is exactly how I got off mine as well. They painted the line upto the back wheel of the car and from the front wheel, with a gap underneath. Had to go to court though.

Comment

mine was more subtle i was overhanging a double yellow, but it was not terminated. I t was not terminated as they were removing the lines.

Barrister friend sorted the council out for me
                Your parents ruin the first half of your life and your kids ruin the second half

Comment

Working...
                X