• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to rent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post2121582
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      -- Philip Greenspun
      I guess this guy has never rented 2up2down terrace in a tulipty area of hull.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        I guess this guy has never rented 2up2down terrace in a tulipty area of hull.
        ftfy

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
          Have you tried your manly charms on the permi-twat's wife?

You have an opportunity to own a bedsit worth 900K, a used jacuzzi tub and a couple of BTLs
          Don't hate the player.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Nothing wrong with renting, it's a decent landlord that you need. Our last place before we bought a house the landlord was brilliant.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              we have a large house in a nice area for <£1000 a month on the Mortgage. In 15 years, or sooner if we wish, it will be ours like the house before last was.

Its cheaper on the Mortgage than to rent. I don't have to ask the landlord if I can paint the walls or even knock them down. If I have to replace the boiler its still less than a Months rental would be.

Rent=throwing away money.

You must be able to buy a bedsit in Walsall by now or is the Pizza round not paying much?
              We've covered this subject a 100 times.

When you rent you are at the whim of the landlord. He can decide to quit the BTL game at any moment and serve you notice.
              Next, rents tend to rise with inflation, debt is eroded by it. So in the long term, the capital borrowing seems small in 20 years time, the rent eye watering. And this rising long term rent coincides with retirement and falling income. A double blow.
              Then there is freedom to extend your own home if you need to. Renters must move to add a room or rearrange the house walls to suit.

For a few months, short term, somewhere you don't know, rent. Otherwise buy.

Simples.

Comment

Renters' subjects of conversation stem from the fact that they are often in their 20s or early 30s, still going to nightclubs, cycling to the shops, living with housemates, playing sports etc.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  We've covered this subject a 100 times.

When you rent you are at the whim of the landlord. He can decide to quit the BTL game at any moment and serve you notice.
                  Next, rents tend to rise with inflation, debt is eroded by it. So in the long term, the capital borrowing seems small in 20 years time, the rent eye watering. And this rising long term rent coincides with retirement and falling income. A double blow.
                  Then there is freedom to extend your own home if you need to. Renters must move to add a room or rearrange the house walls to suit.

For a few months, short term, somewhere you don't know, rent. Otherwise buy.

Simples.
                  Originally posted by unixman View Post
                  Renters' subjects of conversation stem from the fact that they are often in their 20s or early 30s, still going to nightclubs, cycling to the shops, living with housemates, playing sports etc.
                  Depends what country you're in. If you're in a country where you're brought up believing that owning property is your ultimate goal in life then renting isn't for you whereas in many other countries where owning property isn't the be all and end all of a person's existence then there are laws protecting renters. For example I've rented the same place for the last 15 years yet the rent has only gone up once and there is a mixture of age groups, singles and families, nationalities and I don't have to worry about the property all of which I wouldn't get if I had bought property...
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                    Depends what country you're in. If you're in a country where you're brought up believing that owning property is your ultimate goal in life then renting isn't for you whereas in many other countries where owning property isn't the be all and end all of a person's existence then there are laws protecting renters. For example I've rented the same place for the last 15 years yet the rent has only gone up once and there is a mixture of age groups, singles and families, nationalities and I don't have to worry about the property all of which I wouldn't get if I had bought property...
                    UK has terrible tenant laws, it's totally loaded to protect and enhance wealthy land owners here.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                      UK has terrible tenant laws, it's totally loaded to protect and enhance wealthy land owners here.
                      UK also has terrible pensions laws, totally loaded to protect and enhance pension providers (banks). That is a big factor driving BTL. Again, life across the UK is warped by the egregious behavior and feather-bedding of the banks.

Comment

Working...
                      X