• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another reason to rent

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another reason to rent

If you can rent anything decent, try to avoid buying property. Think about the most interesting people you know. Chances are, most of them are renters. People who rent talk about the books that they've read, the trips that they've taken, the skills that they are learning, the friends whose company they are enjoying. Property owners complain about the local politicians, the high rate of property tax, the difficulty of finding competent tradespeople, the high value of their own (very likely crummy) house or condo, and what kinds of furniture and kitchen appliances they are contemplating buying. Property owners are boring.
    -- Philip Greenspun

My renting friends complain that the boiler is broken and the landlord won't fix it, there's mould under the stairs, and one of them recently blogged about a mushroom that had grown in the carpet.

Think I'll pass!
    Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by NibblyPig View Post
      My renting friends complain that the boiler is broken and the landlord won't fix it, there's mould under the stairs, and one of them recently blogged about a mushroom that had grown in the carpet.

Think I'll pass!
      Can't blame you, I passed on renting in the UK for that kind of reason; and on buying in the UK for loads of other reasons.

Comment

Still renting after nearly 20 years now

Comment

We're currently trying to buy our first house - I was actually very pro-renting when we initially moved in together and not too fussed about buying, but I'm really looking forward to having my own house. We've been extremely lucky with our rental - we've had a handful of minor issues (Fence panels, letterbox broke, the bathroom fan stopped working and the shower stopped heating water) which were all resolved rapidly - but the lack of guaranteed stability, a contractual restriction on the number of pictures we can put up, not wanting to commit to expensive furniture etc has started to wear thin.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
            I'm really looking forward to having my own house.
            You'll have to wait 30-40 years by the time you actually repay the mortgage...

House "owners" these days - same old renters, only with a chance to have a minor tax free capital appreciation

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              We're currently trying to buy our first house - I was actually very pro-renting when we initially moved in together and not too fussed about buying, but I'm really looking forward to having my own house. We've been extremely lucky with our rental - we've had a handful of minor issues (Fence panels, letterbox broke, the bathroom fan stopped working and the shower stopped heating water) which were all resolved rapidly - but the lack of guaranteed stability, a contractual restriction on the number of pictures we can put up, not wanting to commit to expensive furniture etc has started to wear thin.
              I'm doing the opposite, have never rented but am selling our first house and renting something s lot bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                You'll have to wait 30-40 years by the time you actually repay the mortgage...

House "owners" these days - same old renters, only with a chance to have a minor tax free capital appreciation

we have a large house in a nice area for <£1000 a month on the Mortgage. In 15 years, or sooner if we wish, it will be ours like the house before last was.

Its cheaper on the Mortgage than to rent. I don't have to ask the landlord if I can paint the walls or even knock them down. If I have to replace the boiler its still less than a Months rental would be.

Rent=throwing away money.

You must be able to buy a bedsit in Walsall by now or is the Pizza round not paying much?
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Still renting after nearly 20 years now
                  Have you tried your manly charms on the permi-twat's wife?

You have an opportunity to own a bedsit worth 900K, a used jacuzzi tub and a couple of BTLs

Comment

Originally posted by FatLazyContractor View Post
                    Have you tried your manly charms on the permi-twat's wife?
                    She said I won't get a date until I get admin rights on here

Comment

Working...
                    X