• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving Through France

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm heading through le tunnel tomorrow morning and wandering down to the Sud.

Taking the MoHo, not in contract so not in any hurry and haven't booked the return crossing, depends how much fun I'm having ... I mean I shall be plotting the strategic future direction of MyCo to justify my salary.

Lady Bacchus is on a holiday-window so flying down to meet me in Toulouse some time next week for a couple of weeks to spend a bit of time bibbling around the Med and the Canal towns, maybe up into the Pyrenees.

Sounds like there will be a few Cukkers down that way next month, perhaps someone should organise the next drinks on Île de Ré

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      According to the BBC, Calais is awful. Everybody there wants to leave.
      Be fair. They're just trying to get away from the French.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
        Thanks for responses all.

VMan - we have changed our booking to get the ferry back from Dunkirk instead of Calais, as is only another 1/2hr on the journey to get there.

OK, then definitely go to Auchan Grand-Synthe. When I'm working in Belgium, that's where I stop. Junction 54 of the autoroute, the Centre Commercial is sign posted
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

I'll be going that way in about a month. I'm dreading what Calais might be like on the way back.
          Well I drove to the UK via Calais a few weeks ago when Operation Stack was running and I saw bugger all in Calais, no delays and in fact we got an earlier train. Once over the other side it was clear sailing although the M20 was one massive lorry park. Driving back a couple of days later, the lorry park was gone and we managed to, once again, get an earlier train so I don't know what all the fuss is about.
          Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Bacchus View Post
            Sounds like there will be a few Cukkers down that way next month, perhaps someone should organise the next drinks on Île de Ré
            I'm on the Ile de Ré Saturday and Sunday night...

Often thought about getting a MoHo. What do you have?
            ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
              Isn't there a a fast ferry that takes 3.5 hours or so on that route?
              There is a Cherbourg - Poole crossing which does that

but then getting out of Poole and onto a major motorway can be a pita

I have done St Malo - Portsmouth which takes about 8-9 hours and then driven back up to Cheshire in a day

but the best option is the chunnel

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Go for a lunch or dinner at the highly recomended Hotel de Ville Le Mans
                Uh oh! I don't like the sound of that at all

Think Vectraman had it right the first time - Toe it until you are in the south of France, or better still Italy.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                  Hi All - am going to be driving from Calais to Cognac region at the weekend and will be going through Le Mans. Other than LeM, are there any recommendable locations to stop off on route or on the way back ?
                  Make sure you stop when you run over a frog

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    2 hours+ on the ferry though. Much slower than Le Tunnel sous la Manche. And if you don't take a different route you're going to be driving past the tunnel terminal on the motorway where all the immigrants are.
                    Yes you are right - but kids wanted the adventure of a ferry instead of the train, so even though it will take longer it will be more fun.
                    And happy kids = happy wife = easy holiday for hubby...

Comment

I've toyed with the idea of a 20 hour ferry trip from Plymouth to Santander on the North Spanish coast.

But I wonder where would be a good place to drive reasonably near Santander, in either Spain or South West France.

Or maybe one could drive from there back up the west coast of France in hops, stopping for a day or two at various interesting places, and get a return ferry from Dieppe.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X