• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

House Selling Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House Selling Woes

Has anyone ever showed prospective buyers around their home? I did it for about a month earlier in the year when I put my cottage on the market as I thought maybe a little rapport may aid the selling process.

I ended up feeeling violated in the end .

Here are some of the choice coments:

"The ceilings are too low, how can I possibly hold my zumba classes in here?"

"Eeewww...Rats! I'm not living here!" (on seeing my humane rat trap in the shed)

"Too close to the road" (it's a minor b-road 1/4 a mile away)

"I don't like that pond, the children could drown (addressing her husband & ignoring me)"

"Garden's too small. I'll have to buy the field behind to even consider living here"

"Those houses opposite look like council houses"

I'd also add that all the above comments were from prospective buyers from London. Smug middle class downshifter types who obviously have their own idea of what living in the countryside is all about that doesn't quite translate into reality.

People from elsewhere were generally complementary and polite oddly though.

Did accept an offer but it all fell through after 3 months of dicking around.

To be honest, I never actually found a place nice enough to justify getting in hock as much as I'd need to in order to be able to buy it so I've now taken it off the market & am getting a 2 storey extension built instead.

My other worry was buying somewhere & finding all the neighbours were like the people who made the comments above. Prefer the people in the council houses opposite to be honest.

Get the agent to do it, that's what you're paying for.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Get the agent to do it, that's what you're paying for.
      I did after about 1 month of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
        So this is a non-thread then.

You're welcome

MF
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          So this is a non-thread then.

You're welcome

MF
          Probably more a dig at #RefugeesWelcome hashtaggers by proxy.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
            our buyers were polite to our face, then bought it and ripped it up.

My wife was horrified as we had done lots of work that people had been impressed by.

I was pragmatic, we had sold it and had the money to buy a much bigger place in a nice little close.

Remember you are after their money not their friendship. Sometimes their comments make sense and you can do something about them.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I have shown buyers round ever house I have sold. Never received any ridiculous comments. Sometimes people have "misunderstandings" and I have been able to correct those.

Maybe the agent details are misleading? More photos required?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                our buyers were polite to our face, then bought it and ripped it up.
                Not the ManShack?

It was probably too soiled for further use...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Maybe the agent details are misleading? More photos required?
                  Possibly but all the floor plans are there & there are about 20 pics on RightMove.

It just seems that some people struggle with the concept of a cottage. Which is exactly how it is marketed.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Not the ManShack?

It was probably too soiled for further use...
                    no the last house.

you are probably right, the wife keeps complaining about the splinters she gets.
                    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                    X