• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Peter Hitchens hits the nail on the head

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Then why don't those people take a trip over to Southall or Reading or Slough and take in a migrant that's living in a shed. Or even better, a homeless person?
    How do you know they haven't? I know two households who do this kind of thing - one has taken in homeless people and the other provides short-term care for foster children, a few days at a time.

But that's too scary and/or disruptive for the vast majority, myself included, as well as being quite a high-risk way of helping. Better to fund people who know what they're doing and have the experience and facilities needed to help more effectively.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

But that's too scary and/or disruptive for the vast majority, myself included, as well as being quite a high-risk way of helping. Better to fund people who know what they're doing and have the experience and facilities needed to help more effectively.
      So that you can sleep a little better because you have a clear conscience.

I luckily don't have a conscience, so I say feck 'em all and send them back. There's no room at the Inn and you're definitely not having the stable.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        So that you can sleep a little better because you have a clear conscience.
        No, because helping people is a good thing to do.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          How do you know they haven't? I know two households who do this kind of thing - one has taken in homeless people and the other provides short-term care for foster children, a few days at a time.

Fostering children is admirable, but my post was directed to another poster who claimed that there were thousands of people who would take in people and provide for them.

You, on the other hand, find this risky and are only prepared to fund people who know what they are doing. So you agree with the government response of sending overseas aid to Jordan then, and not taking in people...

(By the way, that's called "giving to charity", and you'll find that many of us do that anyway, you don't have a monopoly on it)

Comment

What the court did not hear was that 'Major' Colclough - who in fact has earned six figure salaries in finance in the City of London - is a serial fantasist who once briefly obtained a job at a university in Prague by claiming to be a professor and friend of Stephen Hawking.
            Alright Major!
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
            X