• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WhatsPam?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
    It's a friendly alternative to SMS, which is useful if you have international contacts as messages are free. It works over wifi so is not dependant on mobile signals.
    You mean like E-mail?

I get thousands of free SMSs every month and as I've only ever sent about 4 of them in my lifetime the cost is not really an issue.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I get thousands of free SMSs every month and as I've only ever sent about 4 of them in my lifetime the cost is not really an issue.
      Yeah but no but. Whatsapp is free internationally too, texts aren't.

Comment

You mean like E-mail?

Yes and no. WhatsApp notifies me like a text message. My business email notifies me, my personal email does not (and I don't want it to). Again, the "free SMS" thing doesn't really apply when you're abroad / have no mobile signal but do have Wifi (like on the tube), etc.

In any case, it's a choice, not a competition over whether you're right or wrong to use it.

Comment

You mean like E-mail?
          Yes, I suppose, but slicker, and better suited to hand-held devices.

Then it's probably not for you. Other's find it useful.

Just part of life's rich tapestry.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
            Yeah but no but. Whatsapp is free internationally too, texts aren't.
            If you have a free data connection. Surely you're more likely to run up your bill accidentally using a 3G data internationally than you would by sending a text.

Whatever floats your boat. It does seem like somebody has made money by taking something that everybody already had and giving it a fancy name and pretending it's new. Wish I'd thought of it.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'd heard about it but held off even looking at it for ages as I'd assumed it was just the latest kiddy or Fan Boy favourite.

I now use it almost exclusively in place of SMS. It has delivery and message read confirmations, which I find useful. Delivery is, in my experience, quicker than SMS. I have a couple of group conversations running, again I find that useful.

It's nothing really special, it just adds to what SMS does, but does it really well.

Comment

hangouts pulls everything together

assuming some has a google + account but if not is just sends via SMS

works quite well really....

but with the exception of overseas messages who does not have a contract with unlimited txt's

Comment

Working...
                X