• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Singing the Anthem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    If you and your wife were invited to a mosque would you expect her (assuming you have a wife) to wear a scarf to cover her head?
    She isn't ideologically opposed to scarves.
    If she was - or to other things which are required in a mosque (which is more likely though I don't know what happens in such a setting) - then she would have to decide if attending was appropriate. For instance if it was mandatory to praise Allah/Mohammed (no idea) then as Christians, we would not be able to do so in good conscience.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

If he hates the queen/monarchies so much why is he trying to be the PM of a country which has one?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
        If he hates the queen/monarchies so much why is he trying to be the PM of a country which has one?
        That's a singularly obtuse question.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
          So he should sing a song asking a deity he doesn't believe in to protect a monarchy he doesn't support?

Then he'd be accused of hypocrisy.

I think a respectful silence is a valid alternative.
          As sitting member of Parliament he's already sworn allegiance to the Queen, he's all ready a hypocrite

This is why Sinn Fein members refuse to take their seats in Westminster

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie252 View Post
            As sitting member of Parliament he's already sworn allegiance to the Queen, he's all ready a hypocrite
            No, that's not true at all. He is ideologically opposed to the monarchy but accepts this is the way our country is run, and is therefore obedient to that authority.

That is not hypocrisy at all. He accepts the queen IS head of state, regardless of his personal feelings about that being a good idea.

Comment

This is why Sinn Fein members refuse to take their seats in Westminster
              Support was the wrong term. doogie's "ideologically opposed to" is a better phrase.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                She isn't ideologically opposed to scarves.
                If she was - or to other things which are required in a mosque (which is more likely though I don't know what happens in such a setting) - then she would have to decide if attending was appropriate. For instance if it was mandatory to praise Allah/Mohammed (no idea) then as Christians, we would not be able to do so in good conscience.

Corbyn is making a point about his dislike for all things British. Would you do the same in say mosque in protest at the way women are treated in saudi and elsewher in the Arab world. I think not.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Not if he had his fingers crossed at the time....

Comment

The media have played the "he's a joke" card for so long, now he is the Oppo Leader they are starting to realise they can't attack his policies as they make sense to their readers (whether they add up is another matter) they have to attack him some how.

I assume he would have sworn alligence to the Queen when he took his seat as an MP, he is an agnostic republican, of course he was not gonna sing a song praising a deity and a monarch
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                      No, that's not true at all. He is ideologically opposed to the monarchy but accepts this is the way our country is run, and is therefore obedient to that authority.

That is not hypocrisy at all. He accepts the queen IS head of state, regardless of his personal feelings about that being a good idea.
                      True
                      Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
                      X