• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Gross Misconduct

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Sounds to me like she's copying the e-mail to work on at home. A lowly employee doesn't pinch clients, that's what business partners do.
    This.

And they wouldn't send an email, they'd copy your client database and all work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
      Yup - completely agree with all points - an overreaction on my part caused by a decay in relations. There are better and more productive ways to resolve, and I'll look at exploring those. Just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and advice, and for steering me onto a better path. Cheers!
      No worries.

BTW, just so you know, I saw Rachel use two sugar lumps this morning in her coffee & Brian took home one of the pens from the stationary cupboard. They're taking the piss, come down hard!

What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
        Is she single or unhappy with her partner and good looking norks?
        He's back!
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          you mention her attitude is perceived to be poor, maybe this is better thing to tackle and something to delegate to her manager e.g.

"Tracy now its quiet can we have a little chat over a coffee in my office?"
          "Maybe its me but you don't seem as happy as you used to be. Is there anything we can help with? We at Gillsman Ltd try to look after their employees."
          this is exactly what I would do.

Comment

Hi OP

Forwarding a work email to private seems like a very minor thing to me. Much too small to be gross misconduct. Am I right in thinking that you want to get rid of this person, and are therefore hoping to find some evidence of GM on which to build a case for dismissal ?

These days an a bit of overlap between work and private data often happens. Things aren't as clear cut as they once were. Except in high security environments like defence.

Anyway I would seek advice from other, experienced employers if possible, and forget this email thing, assuming it isn't part of a larger pattern.

Comment

Wilmslooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow!

Comment

somebody is always watching....

Interesting...from some of the responses on here....it seems as though client / desktop / device monitoring solutions may not be commonplace in the UK workplace?

I ask this only because I was chatting to a Solution Architect recently, who works for a software company that has quite a few UK financial organisations as clients, all of which (purportedly) use this product. By and large, it is simply a monitoring tool, that reports upon employee activity whilst on the network, such as which apps were active, how long in use, how long on the net, which URL was viewed, emails with attachment and subject line, etc.

Seemed a bit creepy to me, but he maintains that it is seen as desirable from a forensics standpoint, more so than as an 'employee productivity' tool, and that this was now fairly standard in UK workforces.

Judging by the responses here, I would say that this his comments were a bit of a stretch, and indeed such monitoring is not common and / or desirable?
                Last edited by unpresidented; 22 September 2015, 07:51.

Comment

Originally posted by unpresidented View Post
                  Interesting...from some of the responses on here....it seems as though client / desktop / device monitoring solutions may not be commonplace in the UK workplace?

I ask this only because I was chatting to a Solution Architect recently, who works for a software company that has quite a few UK financial organisations as clients, all of which (purportedly) use this product. By and large, it is simply a monitoring tool, that reports upon employee activity whilst on the network, such as which apps were active, how long in use, how long on the net, which URL was viewed, emails with attachment and subject line, etc.

Seemed a bit creepy to me, but he maintains that it is seen as desirable from a forensics standpoint, more so than as an 'employee productivity' tool, and that this was now fairly standard in UK workforces.

Judging by the responses here, I would say that this his comments were a bit of a stretch, and indeed such monitoring is not common and / or desirable?
                  It is perceived as intrusive and I'm pretty sure German work councils would be horrified
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
                    Hahaha, I actually have a hierarchy - me, then the manager, then the staff. My management style hasn't been the best; I've been bending over backwards providing a good working environment (flexi-time, generous holiday entitlement, two weeks off over Christmas-New Year, etc), and that has been part of the problem as I'm trying to be a bit more assertive now. As you say, there may have been a good reason, and I agree, if I reveal this, we have trust issues, so I'm not wading in until I've considered my thoughts on this. As others have suggested, it might be innocent, though it's fair to say I'm a bit tired of her attitude, but her work remains more than acceptable.
                    So, let's just recap.

You've changed the work environment for the worse.
                    A good performer developed an attitude from this.
                    You decided to spy on them.
                    Now you're trying to use what you've found as a justification to fire them.

Does that sound about right?

Comment

Working...
                    X