• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

An end to poverty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stek View Post
    I think we owe whatever it costs, considering we've raped, pillaged, robbed, exploited, armed and bombed these countries over centuries, I can't see how any cannot see that that is is the root cause of the current crisis.

Even the back of beyond now isn't out of reach, boat, plane, car, they can all get here now in days.

Fix the problem at source, right our wrongs, ok some will still seek the Golden Chalice but for the vast majority, not starving is enough.
    So, build a few Tescos in Ethiopia and it's all good?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      Jesus said "There will be poor always. Pathetically struggling. Look at the good things you've got". Or was that Andrew LLoyd money bags and Tim Rice?

Sounds like a great goal. And I am all in favour of everyone getting a chance and being rewarded for their efforts.

However, if you took all the money in the world and divided it equally, after 6 months there would be super rich and pathetically poor.

What can be done?
      Even if eliminating it isn't possible - they're will always be people who are poor in relation to others - that doesn't mean we shouldn't try to raise the bar so that the poorest are merely poor, rather than starving.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

As much as I'm not a Trekkie, I like Roddenberry's vision of no money, no religion in the future. Get rid of greed and theism and you'll kill off most, if not all, wars overnight.
        The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
          As much as I'm not a Trekkie, I like Roddenberry's vision of no money, no religion in the future. Get rid of greed and theism and you'll kill off most, if not all, wars overnight.
          Lol.

Want a secular utopia ? See USSR, N. Korea, Zimbabwe,...

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Lol.

China too.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
              Lol.

Now, there you go, none of those are secular utopias without greed and religion. Try again.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Now, there you go, none of those are secular utopias without greed and religion. Try again.
                Yes exactly - that's what happens when we try to achieve it though.

Comment

Apparently poverty, war and climate destruction can be achieved now - but it invloves getting rid of money and Elitism etc:

https://www.thevenusproject.com/en/

I like to think that this is the direction our species is heading in as we evolve, if we can only just not destroy the eco system and wipe ourselves out in the mean time...
                  "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Korbyn will end poverty.

At least in England.

He'll bring all the rich bastards, and yet unfinished by successive Lab/LibCon/Con Govts middle classes to the same poverty level and thus the concept of being poor would be redefined, finally all will be equal and there will be peace.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Korbyn will end poverty.

At least in England.

He'll bring all the rich bastards, and yet unfinished by successive Lab/LibCon/Con Govts middle classes to the same poverty level and thus the concept of being poor would be redefined, finally all will be equal and there will be peace.
                      Actually, there will still be lots of people on £150k p.a. paying zero tax....

Jeremy Corbyn 'wants to scrap welfare cap' - BBC News

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...room-home.html

Comment

Working...
                      X