• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

London - Bath Bike Ride

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

London - Bath Bike Ride

Signed up for this a few months ago & the big day is nearly here (Sunday).

Unfortunately I haven't put in the training that I intended to & I've also just spent 10 days in Italy stuffing my face.

I know some of you probably ride 113 miles before breakfast but this is a big deal for me having only done 100 miles on the Somerset Levels 3 weeks ago & that was the last time I sat on a bike.

Just wondering how much my fitness will have tailed off over that time?

Just as well I'm raising funds for the British Heart Foundation. I may well be needing their services by the time I get to the finish line

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
    Signed up for this a few months ago & the big day is nearly here (Sunday).

Unfortunately I haven't put in the training that I intended to & I've also just spent 10 days in Italy stuffing my face.

I know some of you probably ride 113 miles before breakfast but this is a big deal for me having only done 100 miles on the Somerset Levels 3 weeks ago & that was the last time I sat on a bike.

Just wondering how much my fitness will have tailed off over that time?

Just as well I'm raising funds for the British Heart Foundation. I may well be needing their services by the time I get to the finish line
    Three weeks off the bike is no big deal, especially if you did a ton then. Just pace yourself and remember to eat and drink as you go.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Three weeks off the bike is no big deal, especially if you did a ton then. Just pace yourself and remember to eat and drink as you go.
      That's what I need to hear

Just wondering if there was any merit in fitting in a short 30 miler tonight just to get myself well oiled - or maybe just save my energy....

Comment

Just wondering if there was any merit in fitting in a short 30 miler tonight just to get myself well oiled - or maybe just save my energy....
        Do it if you want, its a good way to do a pre ride check on the bike, but don't push yourself. Rather than distance I'd just do the equivalent time at a gentle pace.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

If you did 100 three weeks ago, you'll be fine.

Comment

Take Brillo he can carry you.

If I can do it, you can. If you were doing 100 miles you will be fine if take it easy.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Probably getting well oiled isn't such a great way of preparing

Comment

Originally posted by aoxomoxoa View Post
                Probably getting well oiled isn't such a great way of preparing
                No, but I am thinking scampi and chips in the basket somewhere around Newbury

Comment

Well, I did it but, flip me, it was tough.

The other two I went hadn't had 3 weeks off like me & I really struggled to keep up.

Started "bonking" around Newbury & the climb over the Wiltshire downs was deeply unpleasant.

Still managed an average speed of 15.6 mph though so not too bad.

Plenty of cals in the bank now so about to spend the afternoon in the pub

Comment

Well, I did it but, flip me, it was tough.

The other two I went hadn't had 3 weeks off like me & I really struggled to keep up.

Started "bonking" around Newbury & the climb over the Wiltshire downs was deeply unpleasant.

Still managed an average speed of 15.6 mph though so not too bad.

Plenty of cals in the bank now so about to spend the afternoon in the pub
                    Oh do be consistent. Newbury is in Berkshire, you've mentioned Wiltshire and Somerset so far. Maybe you had a quick jaunt into Devon, before zipping up to West Sussex.

Will someone not rid us of this troublesome sockie.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X