• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AstraZeneca Paying No UK Corporation a Tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AstraZeneca Paying No UK Corporation a Tax

Revealed: how AstraZeneca avoids paying UK corporation tax | Business | The Guardian
    http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Originally posted by zeitghost
    It's the Boomers, see.
    Probably...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...w-book-society

Comment

Poor reporting yet again. Global profits of £4.5 billion, but their Dutch sandwich only generates a tax-deductible interest payment of £140m? Sensationalised for the masses.

Comment

Originally posted by meridian View Post
        Poor reporting yet again. Global profits of £4.5 billion, but their Dutch sandwich only generates a tax-deductible interest payment of £140m? Sensationalised for the masses.
        Agreed, but I think the main point here is they pay no corporation tax in the uK.
        In addition, it is interesting that one of AZ's accounts advisors worked on a government panel prior
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Each year in its annual report, AstraZeneca says: "We draw a distinction between tax planning using artificial structures and optimising tax treatment of business transactions and we engage only in the latter."
          This is going in the limited company accounts report to Her Majesty's Robbing Barstards from now on.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

HMRC(and their puppets the government) could easily fix this.

Instead they harass ordinary working contractors who use legitimate avoidance schemes(dividends and expense claiming) to earn a fraction of what they could through going after large companies.

But don't worry! Help is at hand! IPSE are going to arrange sending letters to MPs. Panic over.

Carry on...

Comment

The reason Atrsa Zeneca doesn't pay much tax in the UK is the fact that the US claim it's US tax, because most of their sales are in the US.

UK loses out to US in AstraZeneca tax row - Telegraph
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

“The use of this UK government-sponsored regime for tax planning purposes did not produce any tax savings for AstraZeneca. In 2013 and 2014, the AstraZeneca UK group of companies was not profitable due to patent expirations and continued investment in the research and development of new medicines.”
                So did they make any profit or not? Seems to me rather than whining about not paying UK tax on global profits (like anybody is meant to) journalists should properly investigate the accounts.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

As I said earlier, this bit was of particular interest.
                  I'm guessing they wouldn't be doing it, or employing Ian Brimicombe if it was not well worth their while.

AstraZeneca’s top tax accountant, Ian Brimicombe, sat for several years on a Treasury committee advising the government on the changes in the law. Without one alteration, which came into force almost three years ago, the group’s avoidance structure would not have worked.
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    So did they make any profit or not? Seems to me rather than whining about not paying UK tax on global profits (like anybody is meant to) journalists should properly investigate the accounts.
                    Sure they made a loss in the UK. Might as well wrap the UK operation up if it is so unprofitable...

Comment

Working...
                    X