• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dental Implants - what prices to expect and pay?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by alluvial View Post
    I'd rather French kiss my mother-in-law than have someone screw lumps of metal into my jaw.
    Does it have to be an either / or?

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
      Just like the IT offshoring the middle path is:
      Speaking from experience?

I guess the main issue is the loss of billable time with, presumably, multiple visits to Budapest, or wherever.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
        You getting the bone work / sinus lift?

Good luck btw.
        Yeah bone graft for front due to bone loss on one tooth. They don't do it in one job - there is about a three month gap to let the extractions heal etc. Implants going in January.

Comment

Had two front teeth implants earlier this year. Cost £2k each (all in, from 3d scan to check bone etc, to crowns being fitted), so bang on the typical UK going rate. Had them done by my local dentist who has an implantology qualification.

Now I know what the process involves I would rather pay more to be local than save money on an abroad treatment. The whole process involved many visits to the dentist for each stage, including checkups as the process went along.

Also, when the implants themselves were put in there was a lot of stitches that I had to go back to have removed. So not sure how much of the process can be done properly in one holiday unless you expect some of the steps to be done by your normal dentist and not the one doing the implants, or have the expense and hassle of going back abroad several times. Also if there are any complications or concerns while between visits then having someone just down the road is a lot better for peace of mind to make sure things are healing properly.

Overall glad I had them done. The process wasn't as bad as I imagined. Nothing much worse than normal dentistry stuff if you've had fillings/root canal treatment and the like.

I hear the molars are more tricky due to sinus/nerve location, so I've not bothered to have a broken molar replaced with an implant yet, as the front teeth process was lengthy enough without needing bone grafts and sinus lifts, that take longer to heal and bump up the cost.
          Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
            Had two front teeth implants earlier this year. Cost £2k each (all in, from 3d scan to check bone etc, to crowns being fitted), so bang on the typical UK going rate. Had them done by my local dentist who has an implantology qualification.

Now I know what the process involves I would rather pay more to be local than save money on an abroad treatment. The whole process involved many visits to the dentist for each stage, including checkups as the process went along.

Also, when the implants themselves were put in there was a lot of stitches that I had to go back to have removed. So not sure how much of the process can be done properly in one holiday unless you expect some of the steps to be done by your normal dentist and not the one doing the implants, or have the expense and hassle of going back abroad several times. Also if there are any complications or concerns while between visits then having someone just down the road is a lot better for peace of mind to make sure things are healing properly.

Overall glad I had them done. The process wasn't as bad as I imagined. Nothing much worse than normal dentistry stuff if you've had fillings/root canal treatment and the like.

I hear the molars are more tricky due to sinus/nerve location, so I've not bothered to have a broken molar replaced with an implant yet, as the front teeth process was lengthy enough without needing bone grafts and sinus lifts, that take longer to heal and bump up the cost.
            Yes, have to admit I'm wavering towards getting it done here.

I did mention to my dentist the possibility of going abroad & he said fair enough but to be sure of getting a decent brand fitted with Straumann being best in breed.

Comment

Been thinking about it for ages & keep chickening out. There are cheaper places but you may have to travel a long way. Friend of mine had a bunch done about 2 years ago in Luton, was about £500 each. All worked ok. Surprisingly there is one low cost clinic in London.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I did have the 2 plants in. I was considering going offshore for them but figured it will actually cost more in the long run.

It took 2 or 3 appointments scheduled for almost end of the day (about 4pm) so no loss of earnings. I have also been back twice for 2 x-rays to make sure all is OK. So that works our far cheaper than going abroad.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
                  Yes, have to admit I'm wavering towards getting it done here.

I did mention to my dentist the possibility of going abroad & he said fair enough but to be sure of getting a decent brand fitted with Straumann being best in breed.

Also check what warranty they provide. Mine is 12 months. Had the option of extending it. Didn't bother. It's equivalent to putting a screw into a piece of wood and the success rate is so high and I'm an optimist.
                  Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Been thinking about it for ages & keep chickening out. There are cheaper places but you may have to travel a long way. Friend of mine had a bunch done about 2 years ago in Luton, was about £500 each. All worked ok. Surprisingly there is one low cost clinic in London.

I was dubious at first but figured I'd see what the prognosis was and if it was complicated or higher than normal risk re-evaluate continuing.

Fortunately the state of my implant location and health (non-smoker, not diabetic etc) meant it was all straight forward.

They did have a few options on offer to deal with nerves, from light gas sedation to having it done in a hospital under general anaesthetic, but with the cost of those and not feeling that apprehensive I just had the normal numbing injections, about 10 of them, though only felt the first few.

When researching the options I think I saw that one of the cheapest ways of getting them done in the UK is at the implant colleges, where you may have students doing some of the procedure but they'd be overseen by someone very competent to ensure no issues.

Comment

I had mine done 8 years ago and still going strong, paid £2.2k then with jaw augmentation, the only problem I have had are the teeth either side of the implant its hard to get between and floss so both teeth either side of the implant have had issues due to the implant itself.

thanks

Comment

Working...
                      X