• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cycling, the new way to extend your lifespan (hardly new of course).

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post
    There as summat on TV the other day where they measured the amount of crap inhaled by 3 groups: 1 a cyclist in a city, 2 a pedestrian on side of the road in a city, and 3 a driver in a car in said city.

By far the lowest, by a factor of about 5 or 6, was the driver, because of the filters in the air conditioning system etc. Next worst was pedestrian and worst of all was the cyclist.

They had this ait pollution monitoring device at the side of the road and said at the beginning of the day this filter paper was white, and you looked at it and it was a murky grey colour.
    Funnily enough that's the exact opposite of what the link DaveB posted says:

16. Avoid pollution

You’d think a city cyclist would suck up much more pollution than the drivers and passengers in the vehicles chucking out the noxious gases. Not so, according to a study carried out by Imperial College London. Researchers found that passengers in buses, taxis and cars inhaled substantially more pollution than cyclists and pedestrians.

On average, taxi passengers were exposed to more than 100,000 ultrafine particles – which can settle in the lungs and damage cells – per cubic centimetre. Bus passengers sucked up just under 100,000 and people in cars inhaled about 40,000. Cyclists, meanwhile, were exposed to just 8,000 ultrafine particles per cubic centimetre. It’s thought that cyclists breathe in fewer fumes because we ride at the edge of the road and, unlike drivers, aren’t directly in the line of exhaust smoke.
    30 reasons to take up cycling - BikeRadar
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
      I have all that at 44.
      Indeed and do you want another 46 years?

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        Funnily enough that's the exact opposite of what the link DaveB posted says:

It’s thought that cyclists breathe in fewer fumes because we ride at the edge of the road and, unlike drivers, aren’t directly in the line of exhaust smoke.
        What an absolute load of dogtulip.

Cyclists are out in the slipstream of diesel buses, trucks, vans etc with no filters (or at best ineffectual ones). That's about as "Directly in the Line" of exhaust smoke as you can get. Someone sat in a modern car however is in a nice bubble protected by lots of filters as part of the air conditioning.

In fact the rather laughable advice given to cyclists in cities to avoid/minimize pollution was to "cycle on the less busy roads" (!).
        Last edited by rl4engc; 12 October 2015, 13:27.
        Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
        "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

East London cycling = black bogies

But that was the same when I worked in a nightclub with fire eaters.

Comment

Cyclists are out in the slipstream of diesel buses, trucks, vans etc with no filters (or at best ineffectual ones). That's about as "Directly in the Line" of exhaust smoke as you can get. Someone sat in a modern car however is in a nice bubble protected by lots of filters as part of the air conditioning.

In fact the rather laughable advice given to cyclists in cities to avoid/minimize pollution was to "cycle on the less busy roads" (!).
            Exhaust fumes are heavier than air, cyclists are typically much higher up than car drivers and in cities at least we are usually travelling faster than most other vehicles so we don't sit in the slipstream for any length of time.

Fumes do get into cars despite the filters as they only take out the big stuff. Even the ones that are supposed to catch pollen don't get the ultra fine stuff in exhaust fumes. It's these that get into the lungs and cause harm. Car drivers are essentially sat in a bubble full of fumes. Just cos you can't smell it doesn't mean it isn't there.

There are developments being made in filter technology but they are still being tested and are yet to show long term effectiveness.

New Vehicle Air Filters Trap Tiny Troubling Pollution Particles | Chemical & Engineering News

If you can cite a peer reviewed study that contradicts the Imperial College findings as opposed to a badly researched media puff piece, then please do.
            Last edited by DaveB; 12 October 2015, 13:38.
            "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Yes it does sound a somewhat dubious claim. Plus if you're exercising you're breathing a lot more heavily.

I don't cycle anywhere near traffic and I don't know why you'd want to.
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Air pollution: invisible health threat

Source: Kings College London

Originally posted by Nigel Farage MEP - 2016-06-24 04:00:00
                "I hope this victory brings down this failed project and leads us to a Europe of sovereign nation states, trading together, being friends together, cooperating together, and let's get rid of the flag, the anthem, Brussels, and all that has gone wrong."

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  Don't think the UK ever had the motorcycle gangs as in the US and parts of Eastern Europe. Pity. Fancied being a hard Hell's Angle. Mind you, I'd have needed summit a bit harder than my poofy Suzuki GSX400EZ.
                  Which chapter, Obtuse, Acute or Reflex?
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                    Don't think the UK ever had the motorcycle gangs as in the US and parts of Eastern Europe. Pity. Fancied being a hard Hell's Angle. Mind you, I'd have needed summit a bit harder than my poofy Suzuki GSX400EZ.
                    We had a group in Gillingham (Dorset) called The Grease when I lived there in the 80s.

They were a bunch of bumpkins on CX500s & the harder they tried with the hardman outlaw image, the more ludicrous they seemed.

Not so much a chapter as a paragraph

Comment

Working...
                    X