• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying Bonds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying Bonds

Anybody bought bonds ?

If I buy a bond which is about to expire, do I get the coupon payment due and face value ,and how long does it normally take before they're settled up
    I'm alright Jack

I had numbers 003-028, but 007 was a real disapointment.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates
      Anybody bought bonds ?

If I buy a bond which is about to expire, do I get the coupon payment due and face value ,and how long does it normally take before they're settled up
      I don't waste money in things like bonds or else.

Milan
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Anybody bought bonds ?

Depends on the bond. Normally you buy with coupon but they arealso normally quoted xc around payment date.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB
          Depends on the bond.
          Bond, James Bond.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Thinking about the following bond:

GMAC LLC EO-MED.-TERM NTS 2001(06) INTL (748413)

Can't see any xc status.

There is seven days left price 100.1 on 99.85 basis.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Thinking about the following bond:

GMAC LLC EO-MED.-TERM NTS 2001(06) INTL (748413)

Can't see any xc status.

There is seven days left price 100.1 on 99.85 basis.
              Ah, so it's a US bond. Dunno. But I think you can safely assume you won't be getting the final coupon at the prices you quoted. I'm sure the broker will know.

Comment

So how come is the rate of return calculated at 8% for a 6% coupon on issue price of 99.85.

Is that because only a part of the coupon is to be payed

The price is quoted on the stock exchange spread 100.1 to 99.5 (approx)
                Last edited by BlasterBates; 9 October 2006, 14:21.
                I'm alright Jack

Comment

For those who might be interested...

Basically the price quoted excludes the coupon, the so called clean price, the seller will then demand accrued interest corresponding to the amount of interest outstanding since the last coupon payment.

..aha now I understand.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

If it's this ISIN: XS0201270583 (2.35 % Euro Medium-Term Notes) , then you can see (from quotes.ubs.com)

the coupon is 2.35
                    Accrued Interest is 2.31,

so you would get 0.04, but because the bond price is above par (100.1) you'd make a 100 + 0.04 - 100.1 = 0.06 loss.

Long term GMAC bonds are dodgy, because of the uncertain future of the company (their pension obligations are more than the company is worth)

PS. If you know of a decent bond that I can put in my ISA, let us know. I've got 20k in a share isa sitting in cash, because there's f*all of value out there.

Comment

Working...
                    X