• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thinking of Getting Solar Panels?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Don't forget to the factor in the impact on the re-sale value of the property. Not everyone wants a load of ugly solar panels on the roof and will be unsure of the benefit so may shy away so reducing the marketable value of the house. Depends on how visible it is and all that I guess and yes it's a green way to go but not everyone will see it as a benefit.
    Yes but some people will want them and will prefer to buy such a house. At this time they're popular although as mentioned they really don't suit some houses.

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    But how much power would actually be generated if that were so? Maybe they've done the sums and worked out the money is much better spent on something that actually can produce enough power, all day and all year round.

Neither should need generous government subsidies to make them viable.
    Long term I agree but to spur take up it is not a bad idea, when it requires quite a big up-front cost. Like the grants/subsidies on insulation. Same principle as a shop doing an introductory discount on a new product really.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I've got some on a rental property. They seem to cut the leccy bill by 25% according to the tenants & compared to next door which doesn't have them.

Feed in Tariff. I've had a cracking 75 quid back so far in a year.

Cost me 3 grand.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

They do seem to be improving the aesthetics of solar tiles

I'm waiting for the roof tiles that will split water into H & O using sunlight then pipe off the H to run a genny / car off it

How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post

I'm waiting for the roof tiles that will split water into H & O using sunlight then pipe off the H to run a genny / car off it

Any chance they'll be able to to a thatched version?

Comment

I've got a 4kw array on t'roof, usually produces around 2kwh in summer, getting around £500pa in income, and the aga is powered for free (or mostly) between 11am and 2pm most weeks of the year.

The problem with solar is obvious. We generate when we don't need it and don't when we do. I'm waiting for those batteries...

Comment

Since when have "green credentials" been anything other than a complete con? If you're actually taken in by the term or its application then you've less sense than a 2 year old.

Originally posted by Gumbo Robot View Post
              Any chance they'll be able to to a thatched version?
              Thanks for that input GittinsGimp.

Originally posted by Troll View Post

Good point

Comment

Originally posted by Archangel View Post
                I've got a 4kw array on t'roof, usually produces around 2kwh in summer, getting around £500pa in income, and the aga is powered for free (or mostly) between 11am and 2pm most weeks of the year.

The problem with solar is obvious. We generate when we don't need it and don't when we do. I'm waiting for those batteries...
                I was interested to see that on Grand Designs (2 weeks ago I think) they guy built an "off-grid" house i.e. no mains water or power. It wasn't even a hippy house, looked fairly normal but they got all their power from solar panels and a tiny (like a kid's toy almost) wind turbine. Obviously they had batteries but it wasn't mentioned how this was set up.

I was quite impressed - assuming someone did their sums right and it actually works of course.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  I was interested to see that on Grand Designs (2 weeks ago I think) they guy built an "off-grid" house i.e. no mains water or power. It wasn't even a hippy house, looked fairly normal but they got all their power from solar panels and a tiny (like a kid's toy almost) wind turbine. Obviously they had batteries but it wasn't mentioned how this was set up.

I was quite impressed - assuming someone did their sums right and it actually works of course.
                  Was that the bloke in the forest, or was it a new one?

I get sucked into watching all the Alaska programmes on Discovery, and many of them have solar panels and wind turbines combined with batteries - car batteries or similar by the looks of it. But then they also spend half their lives chopping wood for heat, and these aren't the sort of people that sit in front of the TV or have lots of computers or other electrical devices to power. And they all have petrol/diesel generators to use too for when they need it.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

But then they also spend half their lives chopping wood for heat.
                    He who chops the wood, warms himself twice.

Confuscious, 1721-1948.

Comment

Was that the bloke in the forest, or was it a new one?

I get sucked into watching all the Alaska programmes on Discovery, and many of them have solar panels and wind turbines combined with batteries - car batteries or similar by the looks of it. But then they also spend half their lives chopping wood for heat, and these aren't the sort of people that sit in front of the TV or have lots of computers or other electrical devices to power. And they all have petrol/diesel generators to use too for when they need it.
                      they aren't car batteries, different discharge curve. The lead is a different shape, the case is the same though.

If you take heating, cooling & cooking out of the equation and switch to led lighting most houses can use very little energy.

My manshack uses 63Watts of power to turn it into daylight in there.It can run with 20 watts and be quite bright. The house lighting is probably 200 watts with everything on.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X