• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NEST Thermostat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEST Thermostat

Anybody got this installed ? I am thinking of getting a smart thermostat and the two options are NEST and Hive. Which one works best with a hot water tank and back boiler ? I am reading that NEST works well with Combi so getting slightly confused. Any first hand experience would be good to know.
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Anybody got this installed ? I am thinking of getting a smart thermostat and the two options are NEST and Hive. Which one works best with a hot water tank and back boiler ? I am reading that NEST works well with Combi so getting slightly confused. Any first hand experience would be good to know.
    I got a Nest, have a separate hot water tank and it doesn't work with that at all. Was a nightmare to fit, even for the qualified installer. Had a Tado before, that did the hot water but I never liked it, too random with turning the water on and off, too many mornings with no hot water...

Nest is great though, and looks cool...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      I got a Nest, have a separate hot water tank and it doesn't work with that at all. Was a nightmare to fit, even for the qualified installer. Had a Tado before, that did the hot water but I never liked it, too random with turning the water on and off, too many mornings with no hot water...

Nest is great though, and looks cool...

This is a very confusing message.

Comment

We have a Nest (and Nest Protect smoke detectors too) - the installer said that he had customers removing Hive and replacing them with Nest.

My sister has Hive, my parents have Wave. I like the Nest better than those.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

£179 for a frickin thermostat

Mine cost £9.99 and it certainly has a mind of its own
          How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
            £179 for a frickin thermostat

Mine cost £9.99 and it certainly has a mind of its own
            Aye but it's pretty intelligent, I reckon mine has saved me a shed load of cash, possibly halved my heating bill since I live in a five bed house with just three of us now.

Now just the leccy so sort, LED replacement of halogens ongoing....

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              I have a Nest. I'm happy with it although I ended up programming my own schedule in the end. Its quite accurate at reaching desired temperatures at the time specified (it learns how long it takes to heat your house) and I have it integrated with my home automation system too.

It doesn't work with hot water so unless you have a combi, you'll need to keep your existing programmer for hot water and just set the CH to manual/always on and let the Nest control it. Hive will do hot water scheduling if you need it but I'm not sure you really need an "intelligent" hot water control.

What's your main reason for getting one anyway? If its to save money on your heating bill, a new, efficient boiler might be a better step.

Comment

I have a remote thermostat, 15 quid off amazon, I wired it in myself just two wires for connectivity and 2 for voltage.

I wrote my own software to turn it on and off via simple JSON commands to my webserver.

No need for any of that ludicrously expensive stuff.

CTRL+SHIFT+. turns it on, CTRL+SHIFT+, turns it off.

Other shortcuts are CTRL+SHIFT+....... F for ceiling fan, L for living room light, Up/down for volume up/down, M for toggle Mute, P for projector on/off, D for dining room light on/off (as it's adjacent to my living room).
                Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
                  I have a Nest. I'm happy with it although I ended up programming my own schedule in the end. Its quite accurate at reaching desired temperatures at the time specified (it learns how long it takes to heat your house) and I have it integrated with my home automation system too.

It doesn't work with hot water so unless you have a combi, you'll need to keep your existing programmer for hot water and just set the CH to manual/always on and let the Nest control it. Hive will do hot water scheduling if you need it but I'm not sure you really need an "intelligent" hot water control.

What's your main reason for getting one anyway? If its to save money on your heating bill, a new, efficient boiler might be a better step.
                  Because the current one is bust and I have to buy a new one, might as well go for the smart IOT type thingummy, who knows they might be the rage and I dont want to reisntall this thing again later.
                  Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                  X