• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What's on your wrist?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by edison View Post
    Possibly, but the one I bought was more subtle looking with a blue face. I did look at Omegas etc but just preferred the look of the TAG. I didn't really do enough detailed research before buying and I only came to understand a few years later that TAG are really at the bottom end of what can be considered a quality watch.

I remember a phase in the 90s where every other guy I knew in their late 20s seemed to have a TAG. Only one person had a real one though!
    I bought mine -- a real one -- because it was pretty.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
      I had a citizen eco drive that was really good, but not what you’d call quality (was good for an every day watch)
      I had one over 20 years ago, but it stopped working after around a decade and was not economical to repair.
      Currently have 2 others that are < 10 years old, both still going. One is casual, the other would be my normal "work" watch.
      I've also got a TW Steel Canteen, which is really easy to read.

None of them are what I'd consider high quality, but they're all good.

And if we go back to the car analogy... why by an expensive Aston/Bugatti/Ferrari - a Panerai/Patek Philippe, when you could buy a Maserati/Lambourghini - Rolex/Omega, or drop down to an Audi/BMW/Porsche with a Tag/Citizen/Grand Seiko, when in reality, a Kia/Hyundai - Swatch/Fossil/etc will do the job just as well most of the time.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Garmin 5 Plus Sapphire for me.

It's a touch over 2 years old now and the battery life is starting to fall, so might replace soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
          Garmin 5 Plus Sapphire for me.

It's a touch over 2 years old now and the battery life is starting to fall, so might replace soon.
          "Up to 24hs battery life in GPS mode." That's an ideal watch for trekking providing you say overnight in a hotel and charge it. Having a separate GPS and Altimeter is cheaper and more reliable if trekking. I never see the point of counting steps, A walk for X miles is exactly that ie distance.
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
            I never see the point of counting steps, A walk for X miles is exactly that ie distance.
            Sure, and a car free-wheeling down a hill for 1 mile is doing 99mpg.

Context is everything. A walk of x miles on a flat, hard surface at a rate of 15 mins per mile will not be the same level of exercise as the same distance, same rate but climbing a muddy hill.

The watches are not marketed as trekking watches, but as exercise ones. Tracking your heart rate, stress, distance, elevation, and if you are out for a walk and need to get back to where you started, they’ll show you that too.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

a plastic bracelet saying 'do not resuscitate' .

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
                a plastic bracelet saying 'do not resuscitate' .
                Your mum is as thoughtful a present giver as she is a lover.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                  Your mum is as thoughtful a present giver as she is a lover.
                  ah, so you're into necrophyllia.
                  that explains a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by jainnode View Post
                    ah, so you're into necrophyllia.
                    that explains a lot.
                    Do socks die?

Comment

I've not actually worn a watch since lockdown started.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X