• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Motorists face 'zero tolerance' approach to speeding on the motorways

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motorists face 'zero tolerance' approach to speeding on the motorways

"All drivers who travel at more than 70 miles per hour on the motorway face being fined under radical new proposals being considered.

Speed cameras would be switched on permanently across stretches of the motorway network catching everyone who exceeded the limit.

Motorists would then be forced to pay a £100 fine as well as having points added to their licence, or could opt instead to attend a speed awareness course, costing £90.

But rather than being used to improve road safety, the controversial plan is intended to raise millions of pounds in revenue for the police.

The “zero-tolerance” approach to motorway speeding is the brainchild of Bedfordshire Police and would be rolled out across a busy stretch of the M1, used by tens of thousands of cars each day. "

Source: Motorists face 'zero tolerance' approach to speeding on the motorways - Telegraph

He added: “If the police want us on their side this is hardly the best way to go about it. This is utterly outrageous. Speed cameras are supposed to be there to make the roads safer, but as we now see the real reason is to make money.”

But Mr Martins remained unrepentant last night and said: “If motorists do not like it then they can always stick to the speed limit.”

He said he had been forced into suggesting the scheme because his force was at financial breaking point and fining speeding drivers could help Bedfordshire retain 25 officers it would otherwise be forced to lose. "

Here is a bit more novel idea - allow drivers who got cars and skills to drive safely at 100 mph to do so for some extra tax, obviously if weather/traffic conditions allow for such safe speed.
    Last edited by AtW; 4 November 2015, 23:55.

It's just some political apparatchik, aka a regional Police and Crime Commissioner, mouthing off. Bedfordshire? Well, it would be a hotbed of Toryism that comes up with something like this. This is what happens when right wing governments institute half-baked policies designed to appeal to Middle Englanders: rabid loonies end up elected to newly-invented positions that grant them a bit of power, it goes straight to said loonies' heads, and as the government is now busy grappling with some other cluster**** of its own devising it's unable, or unwilling, to devote any effort to stopping the idiocy.

If the Camermorons had ever learned anything from seeing what happens when totally unsuitable people are made prefects at school, they'd have realised what a bad idea these kind of unaccountable positions are. But the Camermorons are themselves the totally unsuitable people who were made prefects, so I don't suppose they're able to grasp that point

Comment

Will never happen for 1 billion political, practical and legal reasons. Martins knows this. So what can be his motive for the political gesture? As a stunt it gets his name known. It highlights his budget issues. Anything more? My permie politics is a bit rusty.

Comment

I don't see the issue. Don't want to be fined? Don't speed.

What I don't understand is why cars are sold which can do more than 80mph? 70mph plus a bit of a gap to get out of trouble.

Not that speeding on motorways is really an issue. Most pedestrians hit at 20mph by a car survive. At 40mph most die. At 30 mph its about 50/50. So really it needs the 30mph limit dropped to 20 mph with zero tolerance of breaking the limit.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          It's just some political apparatchik, aka a regional Police and Crime Commissioner, mouthing off. Bedfordshire? Well, it would be a hotbed of Toryism that comes up with something like this. This is what happens when right wing governments institute half-baked policies designed to appeal to Middle Englanders: rabid loonies end up elected to newly-invented positions that grant them a bit of power, it goes straight to said loonies' heads, and as the government is now busy grappling with some other cluster**** of its own devising it's unable, or unwilling, to devote any effort to stopping the idiocy.

If the Camermorons had ever learned anything from seeing what happens when totally unsuitable people are made prefects at school, they'd have realised what a bad idea these kind of unaccountable positions are. But the Camermorons are themselves the totally unsuitable people who were made prefects, so I don't suppose they're able to grasp that point
          Generally right-wingers are keen on speed. Left-wingers want everyone to go slowly. Preferably by bike.

Oh I see now. You were p1ssed and wanted to annoy DA? Carry right on through then Sir....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
            I don't see the issue. Don't want to be fined? Don't speed.

What I don't understand is why cars are sold which can do more than 80mph? 70mph plus a bit of a gap to get out of trouble.

Not that speeding on motorways is really an issue. Most pedestrians hit at 20mph by a car survive. At 40mph most die. At 30 mph its about 50/50. So really it needs the 30mph limit dropped to 20 mph with zero tolerance of breaking the limit.
            Why don't they simply ban cars and make everyone walk? I have never understood how society allows people to go out and kill each other in these things
            Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Why don't they simply ban cars and make everyone walk? I have never understood how society allows people to go out and kill each other in these things
              Get exercise and not get fat? No way!

What I don't understand is why driving a car is not seen as walking along a street with a knife. Being able to drive badly and kill someone should not go lightly punished. People treat driving as a right not a privilege.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Get exercise and not get fat? No way!

What I don't understand is why driving a car is not seen as walking along a street with a knife. Being able to drive badly and kill someone should not go lightly punished. People treat driving as a right not a privilege.
                If driving a car is so dangerous then it should be banned. Quite why someone doing 71 mph in a speed limit zone of 70 suddenly becomes an axe wielding child killer is beyond me.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
                  If driving a car is so dangerous then it should be banned. Quite why someone doing 71 mph in a speed limit zone of 70 suddenly becomes an axe wielding child killer is beyond me.
                  Difference between 71 and 72? 72 and 73? 99and 100? You have to raw the line somewhere.

As I said, bigger issue is doing 31 in a 30 zone. That is BAD!

Nothing wrong with walking the streets with a knife. If you just bought it from a shop and it is wrapped. Does not mean knives should be banned. It just needs to be used in the right way at the right time.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

You mean middle class people who pay their taxes, do not commit crime, have strong family values and represent everything that is good about the British way of life that people like you take full advantage of/

Comment

Working...
                    X