• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tenants possibly trying it on for house repairs/upgrades?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rl4engc View Post

Perhaps I shouldn't have included the background, and had the subject as "What should a landlord do in the hypothetical situation whereby his tenants deliberately damage fixtures and fittings, then ask for a replacement?" but there weren't enough characters.

.. If you read the OP I said I don't think they are, but what should I do if they were so I could be ready.

Anyhow, I've asked the same question on exploitedtenantsagainstslumlords.com, I'll see what they come back with.

Perhaps you could have titled it more appropriately since on one hand you appear to accuse them of 'trying it on'. Then you say you don't think they are....then you want a 'plan' in case they are.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Bit of a popcorn thread, you do sound like a bit of a knob

Ceiling collapses being unnoticed is not uncommon, happened to a mate of mine, didn't have any idea it was coming. Landlord lived in the house and he was a lodger.

Regarding the door, I think they should probably contribute something to the expense although 500 quid seems like a lot of money. If they did something unreasonable then they are at least partially liable. I mean if you're locked in the bog then you've got no choice but to kick it down, but if a door won't open and you can get around it then there's no excuse at all to damage it unless you damaged it by accident trying to fix it and it you are reasonably competent in door fixing.
      Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

Currently 10+ contracts available in your area

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
        I once had to break in to a flat I rented. I called the agent and explained that it was early hours in the morning and the lock had seized. I asked them to apologise to the landlady on my behalf, but to also say that I had no other option.

Everyone was as good as gold about it. Lock and door fixed the next day. I stayed there until I bought my first house, lovely flat.

Not all landlords are crap. I'm not saying the OP is crap FTAOD, just that some seem quick to criticise anyone who dares to rent out a property.
        In 12 years of renting, I never had a problem with my landlord/lady. One shared house had barely changed since the 60s, one day the (live out) landlord re-carpeted the whole thing. My bedroom floor went from lino to carpet just like that. Also the mattress was knackered (no jokes). I complained, brand new mattress turned up a week later. Yes it was the cheapest mattress in the UK, and the new carpet was 1mm thick, but still.

Comment

They have a small baby - just bloody fix it.

If you are a good landlord, I'd bet my bottom dollar on them being good tenants.

MP is right your post makes you sound like a twat (unintentional or not).
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

tulip happens. I had to repaint a hallway once because a dunce tenant fell down the stairs carrying a cup of coffee.

Comment

Btw, you can't claim the cost of the bath as an expense if you're not replacing like with like. That's an improvement and not covered.

Comment

Funny, my tenants rang me yesterday, as they have had a leaky shower tray and my plumber went in and suggested that the chipboard flooring need replacing and the easiest thing to do was do away with the shower tray and reverse the bath so the shower was over the bath.

My tenant rang to say just remove the shower and block the pipework we'll use the bath, we don't want you spending too much!

LOL,
                Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                X