• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm done with using a limited.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Cool. I don't think you will notice much difference financially. When you take into account the Ltd expense, eg. £1500/year accountancy, the difference isn't that great IMO. I was brolly for 6 years, now Ltd for 3. Meh.

Doin' this from a Raspberry Pi. Just sayin'.
    Don't be fooled into thinking that using an umbrella is free, you pay a fee, which for some reason is not related to the work involved. You should pay per payment, typically £25-30 per week, but if you opt for monthly this jumps to £100-120 per month - why is this higher, it doesn't cost more to process an invoice for £1,000 than one for £4,000 ???

Although academic, the brolly also pockets the VAT claimed back on mileage, a small amount per client but a very nice earner when multiplied by a large client base.
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
      You are then a 'worker' in Government-speak.

I personally consider myself an employee. An employee of a small limited company that I happen to own the shares of, and also direct through my appointment as a director. But when I perform services for clients, I do so in the capacity of a permanent employee of my own company.
      The issue is that it's what HMRC thinks that really matters. You can shout till you're blue in the face "I'm not like the other contractors" but they might lump you in with them. So umbrella could be a pragmatic choice even if it goes against your principles.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        Well I'm not its biggest fan, but sounds like OP could be a prime customer for the FLC if it ever comes into being.
        Yes me love, did you call me?

Comment

Finally someone sees the light. Running a Ltd is stressful if you're a one man band. This attack by the chancellor on highly skilled workers will be a stab in the back for those driving the economy. If anything I think it'll harm it.

I really love the simplicity of 'cash accounting' here in Germany (yawnnnnn), what comes in less expenses* is taxed, what's left behind is mine. Simple. After all is said in done I'm normally holding back 70% of my earnings. TBH I wasn't doing that much better with a ltd back in the UK.

*I can still claim my travel costs
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
            Don't be fooled into thinking that using an umbrella is free, you pay a fee, which for some reason is not related to the work involved. You should pay per payment, typically £25-30 per week, but if you opt for monthly this jumps to £100-120 per month - why is this higher, it doesn't cost more to process an invoice for £1,000 than one for £4,000 ??? .
            Then submit one monthly invoice. I'm sure your client will not complain!
            "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              WcS. I ditched my Ltd and worked through a brolly for a number of years to save myself the hassle.

I went back to a Ltd a couple of years ago, just in time for the fun to start
              Is there really that much hassle compared to the rewards?

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                Is there really that much hassle compared to the rewards?
                For those with a permie mindset there's loads. Apparently from what I read it's all very stressful.
                I often wonder how it is I still have a full head of hair and can sleep at night.
                I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

under attack every second day from HMRC and gov.uk.
                  Strewth, sounds like a very wise choice for you, then
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    Strewth, sounds like a very wise choice for you, then
                    I think it's fair enough to expect being in business for yourself to be all sunshine and roses don't you?
                    I'm a smug bastard.

Comment

Originally posted by LucidDementia View Post
                      I think it's fair enough to expect being in business for yourself to be all sunshine and roses don't you?
                      Of course. That's my right
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X