• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The CUK "I am a pilot" thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Is it possible to fly to Rome in your aircraft and buy a bowl of spaghetti and then fly back while consuming it ?
    Yes I believe this is possible. Though it would need around 5 stops for fuel on the way.
    Properly trimmed, I think I could use my elbow to nudge the control column while twisting some long noodles of spaghetti between fork and knife.
    Wouldn't recommend it during takeoff or landing though..

Comment

Exactly, what's the benefit of having a licence other than willy waving?

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        I got my PPL in 1999 and I still knock around the skies in a Cessna 172 (in a 14 member syndicate). Cost of the share is worth about £1000-£1500, so therefore think "10 year old Ford Fiesta with high mileage" rather than multiples of BMWs ;-)

As it happens, I also fly model 'planes too.
        Ah Ha we have one. Phew I thought I was the only pilot in the village.
        The Cessna 172 is a fine aeroplane. A four-seater too I think?

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
          The fun of flying.
          It's not about willy waving for me - the windows don't open, so I'd have nothing to wave it out off off.

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
            Yes I believe this is possible. Though it would need around 5 stops for fuel on the way.
            Properly trimmed, I think I could use my elbow to nudge the control column while twisting some long noodles of spaghetti between fork and knife.
            Wouldn't recommend it during takeoff or landing though..

Would you attempt it ? OR do you think its a bit too Walter Mitty isque..?
            Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

You have two to the list!

Although I am out of hours, did my PPL when I was 17, PA-28/38 trained. Used to fly out of Manchester Airport with MSF aviation. Am used to mixing it with the heavies, which was 'interesting' to say the least!

Comment

Nearly - somewhere just past (hopefully) half way there, but the weather is proving to be something of a nemesis for solo nav exercises. There's also been a bit of a shakeup at my school - I'm keen to continue with them, but I suspect I won't get up again until next year now.

Done most of my ground school now though - could do with fitting in Operational Procedures and Human Factors next weekend, and that'll be that then apart from the Radio License.
                Last edited by vwdan; 30 November 2015, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
                  In my experience, planes/flying/aviation is a bit like motorbikes. The only people who think it's cool/interesting are other pilots and wannabe pilots. Most people don't get it at all, really - though a lot do understand a bit more after going up.

What's your point - it's not like cars/bikes/motorbikes/trucks/boats never hurt anybody. The fact that near enough every single fatal (and many non-fatal) aviation accident makes the papers should tell you something - I'll take the 'risk' any day, though, to fly. When I started up again this year I'd not sat in a light aircraft for over 10 years, but the passion and desire I found in my teens never left me, I just needed my earnings to catch up!

Besides, the Blackbushe one was not a "light aircraft" (Which implies General Aviation), but a light business jet on a commercial operation. Not only completely out of our league, but a totally different set of operational pressures/requirements and not really relevant to me on a Saturday afternoon.
                  Last edited by vwdan; 30 November 2015, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post

What's your point !

NTSB reported there were 1.21 fatalities per 100,000 flight hours for private aircraft (Part 91 operators).

NHTSA reported there were 1.26 fatalities per 100 million miles travelled by automobile

We can equate that to about 2 million hours (estimating an average speed of 50mph). This gives us 0.063 fatalities per 100,000 driving hours.

Private aircraft have a fatality rate about 19 times greater than driving. It is also true that a majority of the accidents that occur are pilot error (71%) and could have been prevented.

Comment

Working...
                    X