• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Retiring from contracting", trolls and sock puppets

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I spotted that... just as I received a PM from him assuring me he'd cease post such trivialities. Oh well.
    Sorry about crossing streams.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
      Oh, I missed these posts so I just banned the little fecker.

Comment

Yes, and I thought the same. But I did some digging and this person is NOT a sock puppet. I cannot explain further.

We do not want suspect sock-puppets and trolls to be called out in the forums. The danger is too high of false accusation and taking a thread off-topic. No witch-hunts.

We want you to report them to the moderators so we can investigate with the tools at our disposal. Once we've done that, if we find evidence then we'll take appropriate action. Simply making a notification, however, does not mean that we will agree with you. Nor does it mean we'll take the action you'd like to take.

I have warned this particular individual that any further brainfart postings will be treated as troll posts.
        Oh, I missed these posts so I just banned the little fecker.
        Joined-up moderating there

Comment

Being a sock-puppet in and off itself is not a reason for a banning. Nor is it if a sock-puppet particularly gets under the skin of one particular individual. Also there is a difference between "we've found no evidence" and "is a genuine poster". However, I couldn't give a rat's-arse what you believe.

Brainfart is a great word for describing the emanations such as the first post in this thread, so I'll continue to use it.
          So sockpuppetry isn't a reason for banning? Odd that, you may want to refer to your own "who's been banned and why" thread, there's plenty banned in there just for being sockpuppets and it's no mystery that they're not allowed (other than the ones Admin is happy to see survive indefinitely).

Brainfart is I agree a sensible term to describe much of the spam posted.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
            So sockpuppetry isn't a reason for banning? Odd that you may want to refer to your own "who's been banned and why" thread, there's plenty banned in there for being sockpuppets and it's no mystery that they're not allowed (other than the ones Admin is happy to see survive indefinitely).

Have you checked who did the banning for sockpuppetry? Only it seems there are multiple policies on this

Comment

So sockpuppetry isn't a reason for banning? Odd that, you may want to refer to your own "who's been banned and why" thread, there's plenty banned in there just for being sockpuppets and it's no mystery that they're not allowed (other than the ones Admin is happy to see survive indefinitely).

Being a sockpuppet is sufficient grounds for a banning. However, being a sockpuppet doesn't mean the account will be banned? Or is the distinction too subtle for you.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

To be fair the sock puppets that are banned have usually drawn attention to themselves for some reason. I don't think many are banned just for being a sockpuppet. Am sure there are plenty still going that haven't caused an uproar yet.

EDIT. The latest ban is a perfect example. If it's nowhere near Cojacks irritation line it won't get a ban.
                Last edited by northernladuk; 4 December 2015, 13:16.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Being a sockpuppet is sufficient grounds for a banning. However, being a sockpuppet doesn't mean the account will be banned? Or is the distinction too subtle for you.
                  Yes it is, there's no distinction.

Comment

Yes it is, there's no distinction.
                    Do you still have the boxes your computer came in?
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Sorry about crossing streams.
                      Urban Dictionary: Crossing Streams

Comment

Working...
                      X