• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under 45? Oh dear!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    That's complete crap.
    So working class people e.g. repairmen, taxi drivers, builders are riff raff?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      So working class people e.g. repairmen, taxi drivers, builders are riff raff?
      When did I say that?
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

When did I say that?
        You said my statement was crap but that's the kind of neighbours myself, my siblings and loads of my friends' have of different ages.

The my friends' who have neighbours who are bankers, builders who run larger firms, minor celebrities etc are either renting or in jobs like that themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You said my statement was crap but that's the kind of neighbours myself, my siblings and loads of my friends' have of different ages.

The my friends' who have neighbours who are bankers, builders who run larger firms, minor celebrities etc are either renting or in jobs like that themselves.
          I know you live in London, that's cosmopolitan living for you. Not my cup of tea, and anyway I am hugely priced out of that scene.

My neighbours are just like yours, working Class folk (shops, factories, farm workers). I live in a town, in the South West.

To get a larger place round here for say £250k would mean ex council; with a lot of folk on benefits, kebab wrappers and dog tulip on the pavement, with girls getting pregnant at 16. I'm not stereotyping, this is how it is.

Maybe somewhere between the £250k and £500k there is a compromise worth having. But I'm not convinced, prices are bonkers. If you can't see that - you have blinkers on.

Comment

I

Maybe somewhere between the £250k and £500k there is a compromise worth having. But I'm not convinced, prices are bonkers.
            Prices are bonkers but if you don't look you won't find as properties like the ones you want get snapped up immediately.

While loads of people, with the help of estate agent scum, know their property is in a "prime area" and deliberately drive the price up you will get decent vendors. I actually saw some places like that and walked away, then luckily got a decent vendor. The vendor was shocked that they were under offer within a week of going on sale.

Comment

Originally posted by I just need to test it View Post
              Last night I was arguing on another forum with a retiree who mocked twenty-somethings for "wasting their money on mobile phones and tech gadgets instead of investing in property. Interest rates are so low that it has never been easier to get a mortgage".
              A lot of smug retirees are hopelessly out of touch and have absolutely no idea of the difficulties faced by young people these days.

It's odd when you think about it, because wrinklies are the ones who mostly buy newspapers now and avidly watch Newsnight and suchlike, and they usually have kids or grandkids of their own. So you'd think they were rather more clued up and aware. Maybe they are only interested in news and current affairs that may affect them, and they tune out all that tedious yoof stuff.
              Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                A lot of smug retirees are hopelessly out of touch and have absolutely no idea of the difficulties faced by young people these days.
                Sounds just like my parents!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, North Wales, loads of places, take your pick...
                  Leeds too, even in semi-decent areas.

Comment

Sorry how does a £50k permie job in Leeds help buy a £500k house in Warminster.

I don't know anyone in Leeds either. I'm not sure I would like the cleanliness...
                    It helps you to get a this house:

2 bedroom semi-detached house for sale in 22 Pasture Lane, Malton, YO17 7BS, YO17

and that detached house in Warminster was unaffordable in 1980's as well.

A young computer engineer in London in the 1980's earned around 12 grand a year.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                      and that detached house in Warminster was unaffordable in 1980's as well.
                      Probably, but also probably less expensive in relative terms than today.

Comment

Working...
                      X