• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Under 45? Oh dear!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost
    I'e been thinking that since about 2002, but it's still going.

Mind you, I'd have been far better off selling ZeitTowers in 2007, judging by the prices that were achieved then.

It's gone down a lot since then.
    Certain areas will never go down, others are far more risky.

This country has no other choice, except the house market ponzi, that's the problem
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Under 45? Oh dear!

Originally posted by zeitghost
      I'e been thinking that since about 2002, but it's still going.

Mind you, I'd have been far better off selling ZeitTowers in 2007, judging by the prices that were achieved then.

It's gone down a lot since then.
      It should have crashed to fook in 2008, but Brown et al spent £135bn bailing out the banks and we have nearly doubled the national debt.

Too big - you must fail.

Bankers took all the reward, and government gave you and me all the risk. The men in their high towers are looking down and laughing at us.
      Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 15 December 2015, 15:30.
      http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        When do you think it is going to go pop?
        Can't say but we're already quite far into this recovery and it has been some 10 years of near zero rates. It depends on how much longer the US can find ready buyers for its Treasurys. The longer it continues, the more resource misallocations are taking place, to the extent that these rates are relied on at all.

Comment

With regard to when will prices fall, a good indicator is the mortgage arrears and repossession figure rising sharply for a year or two before the crash.

Mortgage arrears and posessions:

https://www.bsa.org.uk/statistics/mortgages-housing

However at the moment both figures are at all time lows. No one is struggling, the low interest rates means paying the mortgage has never been easier. I also suspect, since lenders have access to free money, if you can't pay the mortgage, they are open to other options such as extending the mortgage term, a payment break or temporary interest only.

Based on this, unless something globally happens, or all the immigrants who arrived go home, we are at least five years from any big prices falls.

Comment

Housing crash only if there is a recession and/or interest rates increase significantly. Don't see that happening soon.

First of all there will have to be a recovery in commodities, since they're a key driver.

I think commodtiues being driven down so far is actually setting us up for a spike. Investments are being pulled and cheap prices will encourage more consumption, driving growth in manufacturing and services. However flipping back into even a small deficit has the potential to whipsaw commodities.

That could be the catalyst for inflation.

Overall it would be better if commodities were up at a comfortable price for the miners and oil companies for stability.
            Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 December 2015, 16:13.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Oh and another thing.

Mortgage-free households on the rise in England - BBC News

Of the 22.6 million households in England, 7.4 million owned their property outright, and 6.9 million had a mortgage, the English Housing Survey showed. The rest rented their homes.
              So the smug boomers () don't have a mortgage. If interest rates went to 14% they would be even wealthier, and their investments and pensions would enable them to snap up even more rental properties from those with mortgages, absorbing the supply.

And even then, those with mortgages are likely on fixed rate deals for maybe 5 years. So that's another 5 years where interest rates will make sod all difference.

And all the while millions of immigrants keep arriving, absorbing housing stock as tenants, claiming housing benefits, passing the cost onto the state, and driving higher taxes in the process.

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                Oh and another thing.

Mortgage-free households on the rise in England - BBC News

So the smug boomers () don't have a mortgage. If interest rates went to 14% they would be even wealthier, and their investments and pensions would enable them to snap up even more rental properties from those with mortgages, absorbing the supply.

And even then, those with mortgages are likely on fixed rate deals for maybe 5 years. So that's another 5 years where interest rates will make sod all difference.

And all the while millions of immigrants keep arriving, absorbing housing stock as tenants, claiming housing benefits, passing the cost onto the state, and driving higher taxes in the process.

Enjoy!
                BOOMED
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  With regard to when will prices fall, a good indicator is the mortgage arrears and repossession figure rising sharply for a year or two before the crash.

Mortgage arrears and posessions:

https://www.bsa.org.uk/statistics/mortgages-housing

However at the moment both figures are at all time lows. No one is struggling, the low interest rates means paying the mortgage has never been easier. I also suspect, since lenders have access to free money, if you can't pay the mortgage, they are open to other options such as extending the mortgage term, a payment break or temporary interest only.

Based on this, unless something globally happens, or all the immigrants who arrived go home, we are at least five years from any big prices falls.
                  Regarding crashes and my post earlier - I actually meant the crash of the financial system.

Clearly not today MM driving the market deliberately over 6000. Such a con. We are running on vapour!
                  http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                    BOOMED
                    Stamp duty on second properties ring a bell to you?

That's amongst the other changes.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      Loads of old people say that about all sorts of things. They do not have the empathy and comprehension to understand that their experience is out of date.
                      But on the other hand, loads of young people think old people don't know anything. They do not have the empathy and comprehension to understand that they're not the first people any of their experiences have ever happened to.

"YOU wouldn't understand"
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X