• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do you work local to where you live?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you work local to where you live?

Just wondering if the majority work local to home, or stay away mid-week.

To date I have been fairly lucky - anything up to an hour and 45, so a couple of mid-week hotels but home in the main.

Currently exploring two opportunities in Reading and Southampton so would be away all week.

The way that I see it is that passing up on an interesting role that is not local could backfire if there is not a local opening for a long time, and I like to keep myself busy.

Yes. Thanks.

HTH.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I go where the work is, I have been fortunate enough to get a gig mins from home, and they had to crowbar me out of that contract!

Currently between 90 and 120 min drive from home, but back each night
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've been working from home for nearly five years now, and am just waiting for the extension paperwork to come through.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          I've been working from home for nearly five years now
          Similar to a lot of hookers, then
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            I've been working from home for nearly five years now, and am just waiting for the extension paperwork to come through.
            I am deeply envious. There is a permie role I am sniffing around with 2 days an hours drive away with 3 days at home. Sniffing around enough to get an interview booked.......

Comment

WFH 60-70% of the time but stay away when at client co's sites (mostly mainland europe)

Comment

Trying to define "local" is like trying to define "fair share"

Comment

From leaving home to sitting my arse at the desk takes just under an hour. A perfect commute for me, any longer and it would be boring, any shorter and I'd still be in grumpy twunt mode.
                  I'm not even an atheist so much as I am an antitheist; I not only maintain that all religions are versions of the same untruth, but I hold that the influence of churches, and the effect of religious belief, is positively harmful. [Christopher Hitchens]

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Trying to define "local" is like trying to define "fair share"
                    Salient point well made sir. By local, I mean home most nights.

Comment

Working...
                    X