• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Scottish independance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post

What is an independent country? For me it's a place with the following:

Security, Rule of Law, Freedom of Speech, Democracy & a market-based economy. .
    Security? The UK is overrun with illegal immigrants daily. What is this if not an invasion?

Freedom of Speech? - The UK is amongst the most recognised in the world where FoS is tolerated.

Democracy - The house Lords? WTF? No vote against illegal war. WTF? Our democracy has been tainted over the years by those who abuse it. Public trust of MP's is at an all time low.

Market-based economy - I'd prefer a capitalist one where if you fail you fail.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
      Security? The UK is overrun with illegal immigrants daily. What is this if not an invasion?
      Funnily enough I was talking to a good friend in Germany last night and that was his view too. He and his neighbours feel that Germany is being overrun by migrants. I was surprised at how hostile they have become in such a short space of time. I had thought the German public's tolerance would last for 2 - 3 more years.

The UK hasn't been invaded for hundreds of years and the security of the state is fairly solid. Obviously there is a huge amount of turmoil in the world today causing a crisis the like of which Europe hasn't had to face in 60 years.

But that is all the more reason to stay united and not to fragment.

Freedom of Speech? - The UK is amongst the most recognised in the world where FoS is tolerated.
      I think you'll find FoS is more than tolerated. That is why the BBC World Service is seen as a beacon of truth throughout the world.

Democracy - The house Lords? WTF? No vote against illegal war. WTF? Our democracy has been tainted over the years by those who abuse it. Public trust of MP's is at an all time low.
      But democracy is a far deeper thing than just the Lords and the House of Commons. Democracy is baked into the UK from the parish councils up to the regional parliaments and assemblies of Scotland and Wales. It's present in your local PTA, sports club and allotment society.

Trust in MP's is low following the expenses scandal. But take a look back at the outcome of that. A whole load of MP's who were caught in the scandal were ejected from parliament by the UK voters. About 2 dozen actually went to jail and these guys were jailed for fiddling very small sums when compared to the literally millions being expropriated by politicians in other countries. And the expenses system was reformed.

Democracy is "noisy". Scandals erupt and change happens.

It's also a work in progress. I favour more decentralisation.

Market-based economy - I'd prefer a capitalist one where if you fail you fail.
      [/QUOTE]

Me too. Do you think that iScotland would adopt a more left-wing or more right-wing economic policy?

Comment

Funnily enough I was talking to a good friend in Germany last night and that was his view too. He and his neighbours feel that Germany is being overrun by migrants. I was surprised at how hostile they have become in such a short space of time. I had thought the German public's tolerance would last for 2 - 3 more years.
        They are those refugees escaping plight we cannot imagine. The are migrants taking the opportunity, North africans in particular, who are by in large responsible for the recent violence. I don't understand why stronger vetting was not applied. That being said the German are not wasting time turning the situation around. No debate, no nothing, caught doing wrong and you'll be exported.

But that is all the more reason to stay united and not to fragment.
        Now there's a solid argument for remaining in the EU.

Democracy is "noisy". Scandals erupt and change happens.

It's also a work in progress. I favour more decentralisation.

Me too. Do you think that iScotland would adopt a more left-wing or more right-wing economic policy?
        I'd hope left. When I return to Scotland (3 times a year at the minute) I see development, costs rising everywhere - there's a general feeling of 'getting on with it'.

I don't see left or right as being as important as change. The country needs to be less dependent on others (as we're accused) and demonstrate independence. Slowly but surely this is what I see happening.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          No debate, no nothing, caught doing wrong and you'll be exported.
          Will be interesting to see if they do deport them or whether the European convention on Human Rights is used to block the deportation as is often cited in UK cases.

Now there's a solid argument for remaining in the EU.
          Quite ( and we finally agree on something ). I am a firm believer that the UK should remain in the EU but that the EU needs reform.

Comment

Working...
          X